Little Plumstead, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Little Plumstead, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Little Plumstead, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Blofield|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
PLUMSTEAD, LITTLE (St. Gervase and St. Protasius,) a parish, in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (E. by N.) from Norwich. 
Little Plumstead St Gervase and St Protease is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich Blofield deanery. Norfolk churches provides some pictures and history of St. Gervase and St. Protase.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Little Plumstead, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Little Plumstead, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 452
Non-Conformist Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1891 Census Surnames Index courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archives.
Land Records[edit | edit source]
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of the Norfolk Transcription Archives.
Military Records[edit | edit source]
Poor Law Unions
[edit | edit source]
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Little Plumstead on GenUKI
- Little Plumstead st Gervase St Portase on A Church Near You
- Blofield Deanery
- Parishes in the area
- Great and Little Plumstead on British Listed Buildings
- Little Plumstead on Norfolk Churches
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 578-586. Date accessed: 22 April 2013.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.