Little Mongeham, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Little Mongeham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Little Mongeham, Kent|
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Eastry|
|Parish registers: None; For records see Sutton by Dover|
|Bishop's Transcripts: None|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
MONGEHAM, LITTLE, a parish, in the union of Eastry, hundred of Cornilo, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 3½ miles WSW from the town of Deal. 
Little Mongeham is a hamlet in the Dover district of Kent, see Little Mongeham Wikipedia
The Ancient Parish of Little Mongeham lost its parish church to ruin in the 18th century.
Edward Hasted in his 1800 History and Topographical Survey of Kent describes the Domesday Survey entry which refers to the church and manor which he says was ruined by 1800. The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 579-583 at British History Online
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Family History Library film numbers
Mongeham, Little contains Archdeacon's transcripts, 1558-1812; Bishop's transcripts, 1611-1900 for Sutton by Dover, Kent Genealogy and land tax assessment records only.
Original records housed at the Canterbury Cathedral Archives, The Precinct, Canterbury, Kent.
From Spring 2012 material formerly held at
Centre for Kentish Studies, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XX
is available at Kent History and Library Centre see Kent Archives which also enables a search of the catalogue for Kent Archives material deposited at Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Little Mongeham are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 333-334. Date accessed: 17 April 2013.