Linton, Cambridgeshire Genealogy
Guide to Linton, Cambridgeshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Cambridgeshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Linton|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Ely (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cambridgeshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LINTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 10½ miles SE by E from Cambridge, and 48 N by E from London. There is a place of worship for Independents. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Linton Online Parish Records|
|FamilySearch Parish Registers-Cambridgeshire|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Cambridgeshire ($)|
|Find My Past Banns-Cambridgeshire ($)|
|Ancestry-Church of England BMD Indexes ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Cambridgeshire ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Cambridgeshire ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- Primitive Methodist
- Roman Catholic
- Society of Friends (Quaker)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cambridgeshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Linton on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 98-101.Date accessed and adapted: 08 July 2013.