Lichfield Poor Law Union, Staffordshire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

History[edit | edit source]

The City of Lichfield & its Out-Townships became part of Lichfield Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.

Lichfield Union had  24,127 inhabitants in 1841.

The union of Lichfield comprises 29 parishes or places, with a population of 24,127.[1] The Union workhouse which stood on Burton Road, Lichfield was built in 1840/1, with room for about 200 paupers.

Parishes in the Union[edit | edit source]

Alrewas, Staffordshire
Alrewas Hays, Staffordshire
Armitage, Staffordshire
Brereton, Staffordshire
Burntwood, Staffordshire
Colton, Staffordshire
Elford, Staffordshire
Farewell, Staffordshire
Freeford, Staffordshire
Fulfen, Staffordshire
Hammerwich, Staffordshire
Hamstall Ridware, Staffordshire
Haselour, Staffordshire
King's Bromley, Staffordshire
King's Hays Bromley, Staffordshire
Lichfield Christ Church, Staffordshire
Lichfield St Chad, Staffordshire
Lichfield St Mary, Staffordshire
Lichfield St Michael, Staffordshire
Lichfield the Close, Staffordshire
Lichfield the Friary, Staffordshire
Longdon, Staffordshire
Mavesyn Ridware, Staffordshire
Ogley Hay, Staffordshire
Pipe Ridware, Staffordshire
Rugeley, Staffordshire
Shenstone, Staffordshire
Stonnall, Staffordshire
Tamhorn, Staffordshire
Wall, Staffordshire
Weeford, Staffordshire
Whittington, Staffordshire
Yoxall, Staffordshire

Later additions Chasetown, Staffordshire

Records[edit | edit source]

Staffordshire Record Office holds many records including:
Inmates 1924-1928
Rate Books, 1866-1957
Valuation Lists, 1868-1934
Minutes, 1836-1930
Ledgers, 1883-1930

The Public Record Office holds:
Correspondence, 1834-1900 (Class MH 12/11330-58)
Staff Registers, 1837-1921 (Class MH 9/10)

  1. From: 'Lewknor - Lidsey', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 78-85. URL: Date accessed: 10 March 2011.