Lelant, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Lelant, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Uny Church Lelant Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Penzanc|
|Parish registers: 1669|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LELANT, UNY (St. Ewyn), a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 3 miles SE from St. Ives. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.
Lelant St Uny is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. TowednackTowednack, Cornwall was a chapelry of Lelant. Other places in the parish include: Carbis Bay, Carbis Water, and Chy-ang-wheal.
The name is derived from the Cornish lann and Anta, meaning Church-site of Anta,. The earliest attested spelling is Lananta in about 1170.
Nothing is known about Anta and Lelant parish church is dedicated to St Uny.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes.A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Lelant, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lelant, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference P 120/ Uny- Lelant (Lelant)
Courtesy of Christine Uphill:
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks[edit | edit source]
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish. The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Lelant (Uny-Lelant) Chris Uphill. Also http://www.lelant.info/ which contains transcripts, local reminiscences and a great deal more.
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- Name index for the Lelant Village censuses 1841-1901 transcribed by Maxwell Adams
- Lelant Carbis 1911 Census Transcription by Christine Uphill
- Cornwall Online Census Project
Directories[edit | edit source]
Transcribed by Maxwell Adams:
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Land Records[edit | edit source]
Trascribed by Maxwell Adams:
- Lelant leaseholders 1708-1853
- Lelant ratepayers 1722
- Lelant ratepayers 1750
- Lelant Village Leaseholders/Tenants in 1838
Websites[edit | edit source]
Lelant in GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 65-68. Date accessed: 20 March 2013
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 20 May 2014.