Leigh, Lancashire Poor Law Union
History[edit | edit source]
Early cottage style workhouses operated at
Culcheth, Atherton , Pennington, Tydesley and Lowton.
The Leigh Poor Law Union was formed on 15th February 1837
The following constituent parishes formed the union:
Astley, Lancashire , Atherton, Lancashire , Bedford Leigh, Lancashire
Golborne, Lancashire from 1850 , Leigh, Lancashire
Lowton, Lancashire , Tydesley cum Shakerley, Lancashire ,
Westleigh St Paul, Lancashire
Additional parishes were added -, Newchurch Kenyon Newchurch, Lancashire (from 1845).
In 1885 an infirmary for 122 beds was added and other additions were made.
The 1948 National Health Act brought the buildings into life as Atherleigh Hospital. When this closed the site was redeveloped to form local housing.
Records[edit | edit source]
Wigan Archive Service, Town Hall, Leigh WN7 2DY. Relatively few records survive — holdings include: Guardians' minutes (1837-1930); Asylum reception orders (1879-1940).
1835 - 1947
1837 - 1930
1835 - 1874
Admission & Discharge
1879 - 1947
1941 - 1947
Clinical & Patients
1914 - 1949
Lancashire Record Office
1930 - 1947
1930 - 1947
UMIST survey of the North West. Reference: CC/PU13
Websites[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Leigh/Leigh.shtml for maps and images of the Union workhouse