Lacock, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Lacock, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Wiltshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Chippenham|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1620|
|Diocese||Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Wiltshire|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
LAYCOCK, or LACOCK, a village and a parish in Chippenham district in the county of Wiltshire. The village is located in hundreds of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne. It is 3¼ S by W of Chippenham. There is a place of worship for Independents.
The village stands on the river Avon, near the Wiltshire and Berks canal, and near the Wiltshire, Somerset, and Weymouth railway, 2½ miles S by E of Corsham railway station.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Lacock, Wiltshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|Lacock, Wiltshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist[edit | edit source]
- 1810-1987 Wiltshire, England, Non-Conformist Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1810-1987 at Ancestry ($); index and images (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 37-40. Date accessed: 30 September 2013.
- From: 'Laverton - Laycock', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 37-40. British HistoryDate accessed: 30 September 2013.
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72)
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.