Korea, Encyclopedias and Dictionaries - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Korea, Encyclopedias and Dictionaries, 1500-2000
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Korean Empire, 1897-1910|
|Record Type:||Encyclopedias and Dictionaries|
|Title in the Language:||한국 백과 사전 및 사전|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This is a collection of encyclopedias and dictionaries from Korea for the dates 1500-2000. The collection will be published as images become available and may help you with your genealogy.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are in Korean, written using Chinese hanja characters. For help reading the records, see the following resources:
Reading Hangul: (Korean letters)
Reading Hanja: (Chinese characters)
- FamilySearch Video Tutorials (for Korean speakers
- Background on HanJa Characters
- Translating Hanja and Hangul
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Korea, Encyclopedias and Dictionaries, 1500-2000.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
Encyclopedia and dictionary
- Family name
- City or county
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor’s name
- Other identifying information such as residence, names of other family members and family relationships
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Country (국가), Province (도, 시), City or County (시,군)
- Select 제명 (Title), 년 (Year) , and 권 (Volume) and/or 페이지 (Page) to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives
- If your ancestor used multiple names throughout their life, look for each of their names
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Korea.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Korea Civil Service Examinations and Records of Officials and Employees - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea Collection of Genealogies - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Census Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Directories - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Legal Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Local History - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Military Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Obituaries and Cemetery Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Public Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, School Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
- Korea, Social Life and Customs - FamilySearch Historical Records
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.