Knutsford, Cheshire Genealogy
Guide to Knutsford, Cheshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Knutsford St John the Baptist Cheshire
|County||Cheshire, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Altrincham|
|Parish registers: 1582|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1581|
|Diocese||Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry; Post-1540 - Chester|
|Probate Court||Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory) Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Cheshire (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cheshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
KNUTSFORD (St. John the Baptist), is a parish, in the union of Altrincham, E. division of the hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester; it contains the townships of Bexton, Over Knutsford, Ollerton, and Toft. The Trent and Mersey canal and the Manchester and Birmingham railway pass within five miles of the town. The parish was formerly included in that of Rostherne, from which it was severed by act of parliament in 1744. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Presbyterians.
Knutsford St John the Baptist was a chapel of ease in the parish of St Mary's Church, Rostherne, Cheshire Genealogy until the 18th century. It included Knutsford Over, Cross Town, Bexton, Toft, Ollerton, Over Knutsford, Nether Knutsford, Knutsford Superior, Knutsford Nether, and Knutsford Inferior.
In 1741 an Act of Parliament was obtained for it to become a distinct parish.The church was built between 1741 and 1744 at a cost of £4,000, the architect being J. Garlive. In 1879 an apsidal chancel was replaced by a flat one by Alfred Darbyshire.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|Knutsford Online Parish Records|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Cheshire ($)|
|Ancestry-Church of England BMD-Cheshire ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Cheshire ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Cheshire ($)
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1600s-1910 Cheshire Non-Conformist & Roman Catholic Registers (Baptism) 17th Century-1910 at FindMyPast ($); index and images (dates may vary by parish)
- Knutsford, St. Vincent de Paul (Roman Catholic), Tatton Street. Founded 1866 in Queen Street, the present church was Built in 1927. Registers of baptisms 1861–1960, marriages 1869–1949 and burials 1866–1961 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Knutsford, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Princess Street. Founded 1797, Built in 1865. Registers 1801–1942 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Knutsford- Wesleyan, Princess Street
Baptisms-1801-1837- MFPR 295.
Baptisms Transcript-1837-1942- MFPR 340
Marriages Transcript-1869-1918- MFPR 340 The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: email@example.comThe Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
- Knutsford, Unitarian Chapel, Brook Street. Built in 1688. Registers of births/baptisms 1827–72, marriages 1840–72 and burials 1827–72 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Knutsford- Brook Street Unitarian
Baptisms-1792-1836- MFPR 295.
Baptisms Transcript-1827-1969- MFPR 340
Birth Index-1791-1826- MFPR 340
Burial Index-1792-1821- MFPR 340
Burials-1792-1836- MFPR 295.
Burials Transcript-1827-1969- MFPR 340
Marriages Transcript-1840-1950- MFPR 340 The Manchester Room and Greater Manchester County Record Office
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org The Manchester Room@City Library (Local Studies)
- Knutsford, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Brook Street. Built in 1806, closed in 1938. Records of baptisms, marriages and burials 1904–1937 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
Church records, 1861-1961 Catholic Church. St. Vincent de Paul (Knutsford, Cheshire) Microfilm copy of original filmed at the Cheshire Record Office in Chester, England. Most records contain Latin. Cheshire Record Office call no.: ERC 24/5248/1-5, 7-9.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Births and baptisms, 1861-1960 Marriages, 1869-1949 Burials, 1866-1961||VAULT BRITISH 2068191 Items 3-10|
Church records, 1801-1837 Knutsford Chapel (Cheshire : Wesleyan) Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, London Births and baptisms of Knutsford and Mobberley, Wesleyan Church, 1801- 1837.
RG-4 series no. 183.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Church records||BRITISH 20048 Item 1|
Church records, 1806-1837 Swinton Square Chapel (Knutsford, Cheshire : Independent)Knowles Green Chapel (Mobberley, Cheshire : Independent) Notes Microfilm of original records at the Public Record Office, London.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms and births, 1806-1837. Includes records of Knowles Green Chapel, Mobberley. Another filming, 1991.||BRITISH 1736978 Item 2|
Church records, 1827-1969 Dissenters Chapel (Brook Street, Knutsford) Notes Microfilm of original records at the County Record Office, Worcester.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1827-1969. Church records||BRITISH 886623 Item 1|
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- Altrincham (1895–98)
- Bucklow (1898–1974)
- Macclesfield (1974–98)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Knutsford on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A. A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Date Accessed: 22 March 2013