Kirby Bedon, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide toKirby Bedon, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Kirby Bedon, Norfolk|
|Type||Ecclesiastical Parish (England)|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Henstead|
|Parish registers: 1558; Separate registers exist for Kirby Bedon St Mary beginning 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
KIRBY-BEDON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Henstead, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E.) from Norwich; containing, with Kirby-Bedon St. Mary.  Kirby Bedon St Andrew is the surviving church in the Ancient parish. The ruined round tower church of Kirby Bedon St Mary fell into disuse prior to 1700.
The present church was rebuilt in 1876 and the Diocesan Architect rebuilt the tower in 1884.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Church records[edit | edit source]
Kirby Bedon St Andrew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Kirby Bedon St Andrew Parish Online Records|
Kirby Bedon St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Kirby Bedon St Mary Parish Online Records|
|FREG||1805-1806, 1812-1845||1805-1806, 1812-1845||1805-1806, 1812-1837|
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
This parish does not appear on FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 481/1-6
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue indicates that the following Archdeacon's transcripts are on film but these have not yet been converted to digital images for publication.
|Other Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms 1725-1812. Marriages and burials 1725-1811.||BRITISH 1526788 Item 1|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and Henstead: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Henstead/Henstead.shtml
- Norfolk Poor Law Union, Norfolk Genealogys
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Kirby Bedon on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 687-689. Date accessed: 16 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.