Kingston, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Kingston, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Kingston St Giles Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Bridge|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1561|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
KINGSTON (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Bridge, hundred of Kinghamford, lathe of St. Augustine, E division of Kent, 5¼ miles SE by S from Canterbury.
Kingston is a village and civil parish in the City of Canterbury district of Kent, see Kingston, Kent Wikipedia
Kingston St Giles is an Ancient Parish about 5 miles south east of the City of Canterbury in the Diocese of Canterbury; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you. The modern parish is part of the Barham Downs Group, which includes Barham, Kent Genealogy, Bishopsbourne, Kent Genealogy and Womenswold, Kent Genealogy.
The church is mainly 14th century with some survival from the 11th century church which was subsequently rebuilt and extended. A monument in the chancel commemorates John Netersole, d. 1546, and there are also memorials to Robert Deune, d. 1594, and John Haslyn, d. 1600.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Kingston parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|Kingston Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1558-1908||1558-1908||1557-1837; 1754-1924 (Banns)||1557-1837; 1754-1924 (Banns)||1558-1812||1558-1812|
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Kingston are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 680-683. Date accessed: 19 August 2013.
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes.