King’s Lynn St Nicholas, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to King's Lynn St Nicholas, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
King's Lynn St Nicholas was formed in 1146-1150 as a chapel in the parish of King’s Lynn St Margaret, Norfolk.
The name "Lynn" has an ancient derivation, perhaps from a Celtic term meaning "pool" or from an Anglo-Saxon word for "torrent" both references to the estuary lake which emptied into the Wash. By the 14th century, the town ranked as the third port of England and is considered as important to England in Medieval times as Liverpool was during the Industrial Revolution. It retains two buildings that were warehouses of the Hanseatic League that were in use between the 15th and 17th centuries. They are the only remaining building structures of the Hanseatic League in England.
The town now known as King's Lynn was, in medieval times, rather Bishop's Lynn. This is because it was taken under the wing of the Bishop of Norwich in the late eleventh century, one of the earliest of numerous deliberate seigneurial foundations of "new towns" that took place between that time and the mid-thirteenth century. When Henry VIII took over the lordship of the town it was renamed King's Lynn However it is still referred to as Lynn locally and records often refer to it as Lynn Bishop's Lynn, Lynn Regis and later as King's Lynn.
The present building dates almost entirely from the 15th century, though the tower is earlier, and the spire was added by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1869. It is described by the Churches Conservation Trust as the largest chapel in England and is in their care.
Here is an important 19th century jurisdictional and historical perspective for this ancient parish for those researching in the pre-1900 period:
"LYNN, KINGS-LYNN, or LYNN-REGIS [St Nicholas; registers begin in 1558], is an ecclesiastical church in Lynn, three sub-districts, and a district, in Norfolk. The town stands on the right bank of the river Ouse, at the junction of the Nar navigation, and a junction from Norwich, Ely, Hunstanton, Wisbeach, and Sutton, a few miles south and southeast extremity of the Wash, and 40 west by north of Norwich. In the time of Richard I., it was much frequented by Jews, and had a good trade.
St. Nicholas' Church was founded [by the year 1559], as a chapel of ease to St. Margaret's [registers begin in 1559], stands in St. Ann's Street. A chapelry called St. John's church, in Blackfriars Road, was built in 1846. In South Lynn is All Saints, Church Lane, [church registers begin in 1558], which was thoroughly repaired in 1860; and had formerly a west tower, which fell in 1763.
An Independent Chapel in New Conduit Street was built [by 1822]; a Union Baptist chapel in Paradise Lane was built in 1859; two Baptist chapels are in Blackfriars Road; and one of them is a neat edifice of 1841; a Wesleyan Chapel in Tower Street was built [by 1797]; a Primitive Methodist Chapel in London-road was built in 1857; a New Connexion Methodist Chapel in Railway Road was built in 1853; a Roman Catholic Chapel in London-road was built in 1844; and chapels also for Quakers [records begin from 1775], United Free Methodists, and Unitarians. A curious cruciform Lady's Chapel stands at Red Mount; was built about 1482. An octagonal tower, Lady Chapel also called the Red Mount, was used formerly for both military and ecclesiastical purposes. The borough comprise the parishes of Lynn or St. Margaret (and its chapelry, St Nicholas) and South Lynn or All Saints. A portion of the parish which had a pop. of 3,867 in 1861, was constituted a separate charge, under the name of St. John, in 1846. The head living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of St. Nicholas, and with the rectory of North Lynn, and the living of St. John is a vicarage, in the diocese of Norwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]
- Type the name of the parish in the search bar
- Click on the location pin on the map
- Choose Options from the pop up box
- Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
- King’s Lynn
Church Records[edit | edit source]
The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.
Church of England[edit | edit source]
Due to the increasing access of online records:
- Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
- Dates in the following table are approximate
Hover over the collection's title for more information
|King’s Lynn St Nicholas Online Parish Records|
|FamilySearch Parish Registers-Norfolk|
|FamilySearch Bishop's Transcripts-Norfolk|
|FamilySearch Archdeacon's Transcripts-Norfolk|
|Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog|
|Find My Past-Norfolk ($)|
|Find My Past Bishop's Transcript-Norfolk ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Early) ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Late) ($)|
|Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Transcriptions) ($)|
|Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)|
|Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage|
|Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)|
|National Burial Index-FMP (Free)|
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.
- Joiner Marriage Index - Norfolk ($)
- The Genealogist Parish Registers - Norfolk ($)
- Norfolk Transcription Archive
- UK Websites for Parish Records - Links to online genealogical records
- Online Genealogical Index - Links to online genealogical records
- Tinstaafl Baptism Project 1813 to 1880
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted. Date accessed: 08 May 2013.