Kimpton, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Kimpton, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Hitchin and Pirton|
|Poor Law Union||Hitchin|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Kimpton, is a village and a Ancient parish, in Hitchin district, county of Hertfordshire. The village is 2 1/4 miles E of the boundary with Bedfordshire, 3 miles N of Wheathampstead railway station, and 7½ (S by W) of Hitchin. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The name is derived from an Old English personal name, "Cȳma" and means a farmstead associated with a man called Cȳma. It appears in the Domesday Book (1086) as "Kamintone". There is a place in Hampshire with the same name.
- "The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, situated on rising ground to the north of the village, is of early foundation; it has a square embattled tower at its western end, and its interior is embellished with a fine screen of oak: the benefice is a vicarage, in the presentation of Lord Dacre."
Places[edit | edit source]
The civil parish of Kimpton contains the villages of Kimpton, Blackmore End and Peters Green.
Neighbouring Parishes are:
- Ayot St Lawrence
- King's Walden
- St Paul's Walden and
- Luton (Bedfordshire)
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Certificates may be ordered from the Hertfordshire County Office.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Parish registers for Kimpton begin from 1559.
Kimpton, Hertfordshire Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Kimpton, Hertfordshire Genealogy Online Parish Records|
The registers to 1930 have been filmed and are available from Family History Centres.
Nonconformist Records[edit | edit source]
Wesleyan Methodists have been meeting in Kimpton since 1841. A small chapel was opened in 1845 which was completely rebuilt in 1870. Some records of the Kimpton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel are held by the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, Hertfordshire County Council. Their nonconformist registers and transcripts1/hals/famhist/nonconformist/ holdings are listed in a downloadable PDF file.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Wikipedia article on Kimpton, Hertfordshire.
- GENUKI entry for Kimpton, Hertfordshire
- Kimpton Parish Council
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed: 12 January 2014.
- "Kimpton" in A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of British Place Names (1st rev ed., Oxford University Press, 2011) eISBN: 9780191739446 accessed 31 May 2013.
- "Welwyn, Codicote, Kimpton" in Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the Counties of Essex, Herts, Middlesex (Pigot and Co., London, September 1839), p 221.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 December 2013.
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.