Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
(Redirected from Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

A guide to genealogy in Kidwelly, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.

Kidwelly (Welsh: Cydweli) is a town, community and ecclesiastical parish in Carmarthenshire, Wales.

Before 1974 the village was in the historic county of Carmarthenshire and, between 1974 and 1996 in the County of Dyfed. In 1996 it became part of the modern county of Carmarthenshire.

History[edit | edit source]

KIDWELLY, or CYDWELI, an incorporated market town, and a parish, having a separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Kidwelly, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (S. by E.) from Carmarthen, and 225 (W.) from London. This is a place of great antiquity. The town occupies a low and uninteresting situation on the banks of the Gwendraeth Vach, or Lesser Gwendraeth river, which divides it into two portions, called respectively the Old and the New Town, the former of which, situated on the Western side, is connected with the latter by a handsome bridge. The Old Town, which was formerly surrounded by walls, having three gates now consists, with few exceptions, merely of hovels; and the New Town contains very few respectable dwelling houses, the majority being thatched cottages of very inferior appearance. The air is salubrious, and the place is considered very healthy; but the importance which it formerly derived from its position on a fine navigable river has ceased with the obstruction of this navigation. The present remains of Kidwelly Castle occupy a bold rocky eminence on the western side of the Gwendraeth Vach, and are in a more perfect state of preservation than any other of a similar character in the principality. The parish of Kidwelly is divided into St. Mary's within, and St. Mary's without the borough. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, and situated in the New Town, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a square embattled tower at the western end. There are places of worship for Calvinistic Methodists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Particular Baptists.[1]

For more information on Kidwelly see Kidwelly at Genuki.

Kidwelly Parish
Jurisdictions
County bef 1974 add here
County 1 Apr 1974-31 Mar 1996 add here
County 1 Apr 1996 - add here
Civ Reg District Llanelly (1881)
Reg Sub-district Pembrey (1881)
Probate Court add here
Diocese add here
Rural Deanery add here
Chapelry add here
Poor Law Union Llanelli
Hundred Kidwelly
Province add here
Hamlets add here


Administration[edit | edit source]

Years County
before 31 March 1974 Carmarthenshire
1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996 Dyfed
from 1 April 1996 Carmarthenshire

Records[edit | edit source]

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Church Records[edit | edit source]

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.


Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Poor Law Union Records[edit | edit source]

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales Adapted. Date accessed: 14 January 2014.