Kentucky in the War of 1812
Online Resources[edit | edit source]
- United States, War of 1812 Index to Service Records, 1812-1815 at FamilySearch.org — index & images
- United States, War of 1812 Index to Pension Application Files, 1812-1910 at FamilySearch.org — index & images
- War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812-1815 at Fold3.com — images
- War of 1812 Pension Files at Fold3.com — images
- U.S., War of 1812 Papers, 1789-1815 at Ancestry.com — index & images, ($)
- War of 1812 Service Records at Ancestry.com — index, ($)
- Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Kentucky. Soldiers of the War of 1812 at Archive.org — digital book
- Notes on Kentucky Veterans of the War of 1812 at FamilySearch.org — digital book
- Diary, 1812 (War of 1812) and personal history at FamilySearch.org — images
Introduction[edit | edit source]
During the War of 1812, Kentucky furnished 11,882 infantry men, 8,285 cavalry men, and 72 men to miscellaneous troops for a total of 20,239 men. The backwoods "hunters of Kentucky and Tennessee" took pride in defeating the professional British army at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815.
Service Records and Rosters[edit | edit source]
- Kentucky. Adjutant General. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Kentucky. Soldiers of the War of 1812. 1891. This book lists by company all soldiers who served, giving their name, rank, enlistment and termination dates. Digital version at Internet Archives (this edition lacks an index). The physical book has an index included. (*)
- Ancestry. War of 1812 Service Records. ($). Database gives name, company, rank at time of induction and at time of discharge of men mustered into the armed forces between 1812 and 1825. (Accessed 11 May 2012).
Pension Records[edit | edit source]
A soldier may have been recorded in state records (see below) or in federal records (see US War of 1812 Pension Records).
- Fold3. Kentucky War of 1812 Pension Files . (Free). Alphabetical by surname. Shows entire pension file for those digitized. A researcher will need to ensure that they have selected "Kentucky" under the "State Organization" tab.
- War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812-1815 at Fold3.com is a free database that can be searched by last name for individuals who applied for a pension.
Biographical Sketches[edit | edit source]
- Clift, G. Glenn, Notes on Kentucky veterans of the War of 1812 (Anchorage, Kentucky, Borderland Books, 1964), pages 58. FHL Book 976.9 M2c
- Northcutt, William Brooks Diary, 1812 (War of 1812) and personal history (Frankfort, Kentucky and Kentucky Historical Society, copyright 1966) (William Northcutt was from Campbell and Bourbon County, Kentucky) 1 microfilm FHL Film 467972 Item 1
Important National and International Sources[edit | edit source]
- United States in the War of 1812 has lists of records, books, etc. for the United States, not just one state. The federal records are listed here rather than on each state page. Two of the most important are:
- FamilySearch Historical Records Collection On line Database: United States, War of 1812 Index to Pension Application Files, 1812-1910
- FamilySearch Historical Records Collection On line Database: United States, War of 1812 Index to Service Records, 1812-1815
- War of 1812, 1812 to 1815 has lists of general books and documentaries, as well as a list battles with links to web sites about the battles, and other information not tied to one country.
Other Sources[edit | edit source]
- 1812 Kentucky. Kentucky in the War of 1812 and other Military History Resources. This website features numerous online sources related to War of 1812 for Kentucky, other states and Canada, including searchable databases, e-books, bicentennial commissions and War of 1812 societies.
References[edit | edit source]
- Wesley Potter Kremer. 100 Great Battles of the Rebellion;...Also, All the Battles of the Revolution, War of 1812-5, Mexican War, Indian Battles, American-Spanish War, and Naval Battles. (Hoboken, N.J.: s.n., 1906), p. 326. Internet Archive.