|Kent Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Family history societies often publish helpful journals, transcripts, compiled genealogies and host helpful websites. They may have ongoing projects to transcribe records and create indexes. Most societies publish queries in their journals and maintain lists of members’ research interests that may be helpful to you. You may want to join one of these societies, reap the benefits of their expertise and resources, or support its efforts.
Addresses of the societies are for the most part where their meetings are held as they are by-and-large not brick-and-mortar institutions.
Regional Societies[edit | edit source]
- The Romney Marsh Research Trust was formed in 1987 to study the history, archaeology and landscape history (or ‘geomorphology’) of Romney Marsh.
Tunbridge Wells Family History Society
Website: Tunbridge Wells Family History Society
- We are a small Society with around 250 members who either live in or have family history connections with the Tunbridge Wells area, which straddles the Kent/East Sussex border. The following parishes are of specific interest to our members: Kent (Ashurst, Bidborough, Lamberhurst (part), Pembury, Penshurst, Southborough, and Speldhurst) and East Sussex (Frant, Lamberhurst (part), Rotherfield, Ticehurst, Wadhurst, and Withyham).
- We regret that because of a continual decrease in the number of members and a lack of volunteers to run the Society it will close on 31st December 2016. North West Kent FHS (http://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/) will take over from 1st January 2017 the area previously covered by TWFHS.
Wesley Historical Society - London And The South East
7 Hornminster Glen
Hornchurch, London RM11 3XL UK
Website: Wesley Historical Society - London And The South East
- The aims of the Society laid down in 1893 were to promote the study of the history and literature of early Methodism, research into the Wesley's, and investigation into the beginnings and development of Methodism. Area: London and the South East. South East England consists of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Hampshire, the Isle of Wight, Kent, Oxfordshire, Surrey, and West Sussex.
Kent Societies[edit | edit source]
Appledore Local History Society
Appledore, Kent TN26 2AE UK
Telephone: 01233 758756
Website: Appledore Local History Society
- The aims and objectives of the Appledore Local History Society are to provide a focal point for the regular gathering of local residents interested in the history of the village and surrounding areas; to facilitate the collection, collation and sharing of information and artefacts and to provide a repository for the benefit of future generations; to build an extensive archive that might be developed into a local Appledore Heritage Centre; to welcome and inform new residents of the history of the village and surrounding areas; to provide visitors to Appledore some basic facts that will enhance their knowledge of the village; and to establish heritage trails that will enrich the enjoyment of tourists to the village.
Ashford Archaeological and Historical Society
Friends Meeting House
Ashford, Kent TN24 8NY UK
Telephone: 01233 820679
Website: Ashford Archaeological and Historical Society
Aylesford Historical Society
Aylesford Community Centre
25 Forstal Road
Aylesford, Kent ME20 7AU UK
Telephone: 01622 717034
- The Barham Downs History Society seeks to encompass life in the past & present of four principal settlements in the area; Barham, Bishopsbourne, Kingston, and Womenswold, with their associated hamlets and adjoining areas.
Bearsted & District Local History Society
King George V Memorial Hall
Bearsted, Kent ME14 4DB UK
Telephone: 01622 737756
Website: Bearsted & District Local History Society
- The group welcomes all those who have an interest in the archaeology and history of Bexley and the surrounding area. Since its formation the group has provided an opportunity for people in the community to get involved in Archaeology and History in the local area.
- Bexley Historical Society was established by history-loving citizens "as a non profit organization to encourage an interest in both local, general historical and archaeological matters particularly those relating to the area within the boundaries of the Borough of Bexley".
Biddenden Local History Society
Biddenden New Village Hall
Ashford, Kent TN27 8BB UK
Telephone: 01580 291925
Website: Biddenden Local History Society
Bromley Borough Local History Society
Trinity United Reform Church
Bromley, London BR1 3AQ UK
Telephone: 01689 854 408
Website: Bromley Borough Local History Society
- BBLHS was formed in 1974 so that those with an interest in the history of the people, events and places that make up London's largest borough could meet to exchange information and learn more about the long and fascinating story that makes up the London Borough of Bromley and all its constituent parts.
Brenchley and Matfield Local History Society
Matfield Village Hall
Tonbridge, Kent TN12 7LW UK
Telephone: 01892 722339
Website: Brenchley and Matfield Local History Society
- Founded in 1971, the Society has over 150 members. As well as encouraging an interest in both local and national history, one of its main objectives is to maintain and expand its local archive which now contains a fascinating picture of the evolution of the parish. This archive is a valuable source of reference which is open, by appointment, for inspection.
- Bridge & District History Society was formed to promote interest in aspects of local history in and around the villages of Barham, Bekesbourne, Bishopsbourne, Bridge, Kingston, Littlebourne, and Patrixbourne in Kent.
- The Broadstairs Society was founded in 1864 with the aim to protect the charm and character of Broadstairs & St Peters and its future.
Canterbury Historical & Archaeological Society (CHAS)
Newton Lecture Theatre Ng03
North Holmes Campus
N Holmes Rd
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury, Kent CT1 1QU UK
Telephone: 01227 780245
Website: Canterbury Historical & Archaeological Society (CHAS)
- Canterbury Historical and Archaeological Society was established in 1920 'to encourage the study of the history and antiquities of the City of Canterbury and surroundings and to preserve the architectural features and characteristics of the City.'
- The Chalk Parish History Group is a small group of people who are interested in local history, particularly that of Chalk.
Charing & District Local History Society
Charing, Kent TN27 0JA UK
Telephone: 01233 713749
Website: Charing & District Local History Society
- Charing and District Local History Society exists to promote an active interest in local history.
Chatham Dockyard Historical Society
Chatham Historic Dockyard
Chatham, Kent ME4 4TE UK
Telephone: 01634 832028
Website: Chatham Dockyard Historical Society
- The Chatham Dockyard Historical Society is composed of about 280 members, all of whom are volunteers dedicated to upholding the memory of Chatham Dockyard's contribution to serving the Royal Navy over the past four centuries. Working in close partnership with the Historic Dockyard Trust, the Society runs the Museum of the Royal Dockyard, the Royal Dockyard Library, and are pleased to assist visitors with any historical query.
Chatham Historical Society
Medway, Kent ME7 5BU UK
Telephone: 01634 372823
Website: Chatham Historical Society
- Chatham Historical Society was founded in 1950. Its objectives are to bring together those who are interested in the history and archaeology of the Medway Towns and the immediate surrounding area, and to collect and record material relating to the history of this area.
- The Cliffe-at-Hoo Historical Society is dedicated to the study and appreciation of all aspects of the history and archaeology of Cliffe and the Hoo Peninsula and is dedicated to a policy of openness, honesty and sharing. The Society belongs to the people, past, present and future of Cliffe and the Hoo Peninsula and openly shares with all who are seriously interested.
Cliffe History Group
Cliffe, Kent ME3 7SS UK
Telephone: 01634 222412
Cranbrook & District Local History Society
The Congregational Church
Cranbrook, Kent TN17 3DN UK
Telephone: 01580 241944
Website: Cranbrook & District Local History Society
- The Cranbrook & District Local History Society seeks to promote an interest in Cranbrook and all aspects of its history. It manages the Museum and holds regular meetings during the winter months plus special summer events and exhibitions.
Crayford Manor House Historical Society
Baker Trust Hall
Dartford, Kent DA1 4BG UK
Telephone: 01322 551279
Website: Crayford Manor House Historical Society
- The group undertakes field work in the Dartford area, and highlights of the group’s work include the discovery of a complete glass bowl at an Anglo-Saxon cemetery in Darenth.
Dartford Historical & Antiquarian Society
Mick Jagger Centre
The Grammar School (boys)
Dartford, Kent DA1 2JZ UK
Website: Dartford Historical & Antiquarian Society
- The Society's purpose was "to encourage the study of local antiquities and to examine and record as far as possible all evidence of historic and prehistoric remains of antiquarian interest within the district".
St. Marys Parish Centre
Dover, Kent CT16 1BY UK
Website: Dover Society
- Assisting with the preservation of our Historic Town of Dover.
Dymchurch and District Heritage Group
95 High St
Romney Marsh, Kent TN29 0TB UK
Telephone: 01797 458200
Website: Dymchurch and District Heritage Group
East Peckham Historical Society
Salvation Army Hall
50 The Freehold
East Peckham, Kent TN12 5AQ UK
Telephone: 01622 872111
- The aims of the society are primarily to promote, encourage and co-ordinate research into the history of the Eden Valley and to provide a platform for talks and discussion.
- The Elham Historical Society aims to seek, preserve, inspire, and transmit knowledge of the history of the village of Elham.
- The Society was formed in 1985 by a small group of enthusiasts anxious to research and preserve the history of their locality before it was lost as a result of the increasing pace of life and the throw-away society in which we now live. Its area of interest covers the ancient parishes of Eynsford (including Crockenhill), Farningham and Lullingstone, and also Maplescombe.
- For more than 50 years the Faversham Society has been working towards the preservation and enjoyment of this unique historic town.
- The Folkestone and District Family History Society was founded in 1976 to encourage and promote the study of family history in the South East Kent area. It provides advice and assistance to members with South East Kent ancestry as well as to members whose roots are elsewhere, and welcomes the beginner and the more experienced family historian alike.
Frittenden Historical Society
Frittenden Memorial Hall
Cranbrook, Kent TN17 UK
Telephone: 01580 893703
Website: Frittenden Historical Society
- We are a small, friendly society from a small, friendly village in the Weald of Kent. We aim to educate and entertain with talks and presentations about the history of our village and the county in which we live.
Gillingham & Rainham Local History Society
Byron Primary School
Gillingham, Kent ME7 5XX UK
Telephone: 07947 583327
Website: Gillingham & Rainham Local History Society
- The objective of the Society shall be to advance the education of the public in the study of Local History.
Goudhurst & Kilndown Local History Society
Cranbrook, Kent TN17 1AN UK
Website: Goudhurst & Kilndown Local History Society
- The society has an archive of books, slides, photographs, postcards, maps and other material, together with a small number of interesting artefacts. As well as expanding this archive by carrying out new research, we are also able to help people seeking information on local families and the history of the parish.
- The aims of the Society are to promote the study of Scientific and Archaeological subjects in the district by individual research, by collective study and the interchange of ideas by means of papers, readings, lectures, excursions, field days and outings. By the publication of transactions, journals etc, and other means that seemed advisable at the time.
Great Mongeham Society
Great Mongeham Parish Hall
170 Mongeham Road
Deal, Kent CT14 9LL UK
Website: Great Mongeham Society
- We are a social society based in Great Mongeham, Kent, with interests in local history, wildlife, and architecture.
Hadlow Historical Society
St. Mary's Church Upper Room
Tonbridge, Kent TN11 0DJ UK
Telephone: 01732 850214
Website: Hadlow Historical Society
Harrietsham History Society
Harrietsham Village Hall
Maidstone, Kent ME17 1AP UK
Telephone: 01622 851075
Website: Harrietsham History Society
- The website is to promote Harrietsham History Society and its activities to both members and non-members of the Society.
Headcorn Local History Society
Methodist Church Hall
2 High St
Ashford, Kent TN27 9NE UK
Telephone: 01622 890270
Website: Headcorn Local History Society
- The purpose of the group is to encourage an active interest in the local history of Herne, Broomfield and the immediate surrounding area. In addition to our regular meetings, we are involved in research projects, produce publications, and are building up an archive of local material.
Herne Bay Historical Records Society
Herne Bay United Church
Herne Bay, Kent CT6 UK
Telephone: 07783 386477
Website: Herne Bay Historical Records Society
- The Higham Village History Group was formed in May 1997 by those villagers interested in local history and is affiliated to the Kent History Federation. Higham is a large village situated between Gravesend and the Medway Towns in northwest Kent.
Hildenborough History Society
10 Riding Lane
Hildenborough, Kent TN11 9HY UK
Telephone: 01732 834610
Website: Hildenborough History Society
Horsmonden Historical Society
Horsmonden Methodist Church
Tonbridge, Kent TN12 8 UK
Telephone: 01892 722680
Website: Horsmonden Historical Society
Website #2: Horsmonden Historical Society
- The Horsmonden Historical Society exists to provide a regular meeting point for members of the Horsmonden community who have an interest in local and a wider history.
Horton Kirby & South Darenth Local History Society
Horton Kirby Jubilee Hall
Dartford, Kent DA4 9AX UK
Telephone: 01322 616424
Website: Horton Kirby & South Darenth Local History Society
- The Horton Kirby & South Darenth Local History Society was founded in 1995 after the publication by the Parish Council of the Centenary Book. Since then the Society has met regularly in the Village Hall and regularly publishes books and leaflets about the area.
Ide Hill Society
Sevenoaks, Kent TN14 6JG UK
Website: Ide Hill Society
- In the district around Ide Hill there are many houses of historical and architectural interest, notably Knole, Hever Castle, Chartwell, and Penshurst Place, all of which are within a few miles of Ide Hill. We encourage anybody with an interest in Ide Hill to join the Ide Hill Society.
- The aims of our Society are ‘to promote, for the benefit and education of the general public, the study of the archaeology and history of the Isle of Thanet’.
- The Kemsing Heritage Centre has an extensive archive of material relating to the history of Kemsing and its inhabitants. This material is the result of many years of work and is a valuable resource that can be used for family history and other research.
- The Society was founded in 1857 and has the following objects: To promote the study and publication of archaeology and history in all their branches, especially within the ancient county of Kent. Much of the County has been lost to London since 1857 so the “ancient county” is treated as including the London Boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Greenwich, and Lewisham, as well as Medway and the administrative county.
Kent Family History Society
The Willesborough Windmill
Ashford, Kent TN24 0QG UK
Website: Ashford Branch
St Andrews United Reform Church
Canterbury, Kent CT1 2UA UK
Telephone: 01227 453576
Website: Canterbury Branch
The Cleary Room
The Landmark Centre
129 High Street
Deal, Kent CT14 6BB UK
Website: Deal Branch
St. Paul's Church Hall
Maidstone, Kent ME14 2AN UK
Telephone: 01622 204923
All Saints Parish Hall
Frindsbury, Kent ME2 4HY UK
Website: Medway Branch
The Birchington Village Centre
9 Alpha Road
Birchington, Kent CT7 9EG UK
Telephone: 01843 841228
Website: Thanet Branch
- Welcome to the Kent Family History Society. Established in 1974 as the largest and oldest Family History Society in Kent, with more than 2,400 members worldwide, we are uniquely able to help members to learn how to research their own family tree. Branch meetings are held in Ashford, Canterbury, Deal, Maidstone, Medway (Frindsbury), and Thanet (Birchington). In addition, there is an on-line Global Branch.
Lamberhurst Local History Society
1 Tanyard Cottages
Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN3 8DD UK
Telephone: 01892 890615/890395
Website: Lamberhurst Local History Society
Leigh & District Historical Society
Leigh Small Village Hall
Tonbridge, Kent TN11 8RL UK
Website: Leigh & District Historical Society
- The Leigh and District Historical Society was founded with two main objectives: To provide an annual programme of meetings with presentations on historical subjects connected to Leigh, together with presentations on subjects of both county and national interest, and To maintain and add to our archive of local historical material and to make this available both to local residents and historians in general.
- The Lewisham Local History Society was founded in 1961 with the aim of encouraging and assisting study of the local history of the London Borough of Lewisham and nearby areas.
Loose Area History Society
Loose Primary School
Maidstone, Kent ME15 9UW UK
Website: Loose Area History Society
Lower Medway Archaeological Research Group
The Friends Meeting House
Rochester, Kent ME1 1LS UK
Telephone: 01634 717135
Website: Lower Medway Archaeological Research Group
- Within the Society we have an active Family History & Research Group, who aid each other in researching their genealogical studies and have greatly assisted the Society in carrying out research; an examples of which were the discovery of some of the personal histories of those who are commemorated on our local War Memorial.
- Our records contain a wide range of material from the Iron Age to the modern day; individual stories to local and nearby community events; agriculture, social history, commerce, and industry; and social themes including conflicts, social unrest, war and peace (e.g., WW1).
Maidstone Area Archaeological Group
Maidstone Community Support Centre
39-48 Marsham St
Maidstone, Kent ME14 1HH UK
Telephone: 01622 762422
Website: Maidstone Area Archaeological Group
- The Group was founded in 1969 in order to promote archaeological research in the Maidstone area, co-ordinate archaeological research, and publish the results of such research.
- The objectives of the Society are the study of matters of historic interest by means of lectures, discussions, and excursions and the dissemination of the results of original research.
Margate Historical Society
Cecil Square Baptist Church Hall
4 Cecil Square
Margate, Kent CT9 5EH UK
Telephone: 01843 223300
Website: Margate Historical Society
Meopham Historical Society
St Johns Centre
Meopham, Kent DA13 0AA UK
Telephone: 01732 822649
North West Kent Family History Society
Bromley Methodist Church
Bromley, London BR1 3NS UK
Dartford Technology College
Dartford, Kent DA1 2LY UK
Telephone: 01322 384836
Sevenoaks Community Centre
Sevenoaks, Kent TN14 5DN UK
- The North West Kent Family History Society was formed in 1978 with the object of aiding and encouraging the study of family history and genealogy in South East London and North West Kent.
Northfleet History Group
St Botolph's Church Hall
Gravesham, Kent DA11 9EU UK
Telephone: 01474 355569/355020
Website: Northfleet History Group
Orpington & District Archaeological Society
Christ Church (United Reformed)
Bromley, London BR5 1LH UK
Website: Orpington & District Archaeological Society
- The Society promotes the study of archaeology in the local area by undertaking excavations, carrying out research, and encouraging public interest through meetings and visits.
Otford and District Historical Society
Otford Village Memorial Hall
28A High St
Sevenoaks, Kent TN14 5PQ UK
Telephone: 01959 525434
Website: Otford and District Historical Society
Otham History Society
Madginford Small Hall
Maidstone, Kent ME15 8LH UK
Telephone: 01622 745848
Website: Otham History Society
- The aims of the Oxney Local History Group are find and research all aspects of the history of the Isle of Oxney; set down a permanent record of all the research undertaken, for the use of other interested parties and future generations; help others to gain an interest in our island’s history by the regular display of all researched items and artefacts and, if possible, produce a regular newsletter; and meet up socially with other individuals and groups that share our common interest.
Paddock Wood History Society
Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN12 UK
Telephone: 01892 832797
Website: Paddock Wood History Society
- Plaxtol Local History Group aims to help us all to understand and enjoy aspects of our village and parish history and that of the surrounding areas - from the houses and architecture to the people, their livelihoods, and the landscape.
19 Harbour St
Ramsgate, Kent CT11 8HA UK
Website: Ramsgate Society
- To encourage high standards of architecture and town planning; to stimulate public interest in, and to care for, the beauty, history and character of the Town and its surroundings; to encourage the preservation and improvement of features of public amenity or historic interest in Ramsgate.
- If you have a question about the town of Sandwich, the History Society can draw on their knowledge & extensive records in the Sandwich Archives - or they can point you in the right direction for your research. Not only do the Sandwich History Society have a wealth of knowledge, they also provide conducted Historical Tours of the town, publish books on the History of Sandwich, and hold events and talks throughout the year.
- Seal History Group is run by local volunteers with a common interest in local history.
- The aim of our Society is to promote an interest in history, covering both local and general historical topics.
Shepherdswell & Coldred History Society
Shepherdswell Village Hall
Dover, Kent CT15 7NN UK
Telephone: 01304 832143
Website: Shepherdswell & Coldred History Society
- The following objects are for the public benefit: 1) the advancement of education by the establishment and maintenance of a heritage centre and library for the recording of local history in relation to the Isle of Sheppey; and 2) the preservation and protection of the grade I listed gatehouse at Minster On Sea.
Shoreham and District Historical Society
Shoreham Village Hall
Sevenoaks, Kent TN14 7TG UK
Telephone: 01959 523098
Website: Shoreham and District Historical Society
- The Shoreham & District Historical Society was formed in 1997 to promote awareness of our history, organise meetings and visits, conserve archives and conduct, and publish research.
- We are a friendly group and over the year we enjoy a wide variety of speakers at Shorne Village Hall who delve into the history of the area and beyond.
Sittingbourne, Historical Research Group of
Swale, Kent ME10 4BX UK
Telephone: 01634 230421
Website: Historical Research Group of Sittingbourne
- Our aim is to investigate, record, and promote the history of Sittingbourne and the local area by research, study, education, and publication.
- On the Smarden Local History Society and Heritage Centre's website their activities and archive collections are described for the enjoyment and benefit of everyone with an interest in Smarden's rich past.
- The Society was formed in October 1997 and concerns itself with the archaeology and history of the Civil Parish of Snodland and neighbouring civil parishes.
- The Society's most important function is to manage the Staplehurst Archive and we welcome members who would like to participate in this activity.
Stelling Minnis and Upper Hardres Historical Society
Stelling Minnis Village Hall
Canterbury, Kent CT4 6AG UK
Telephone: 01227 709864
Website: Stelling Minnis and Upper Hardres Historical Society
Studying History and Archaeology in Lympne
St Stephen Church
Lympne, Kent CT21 4LQ UK
Telephone: 01303 237143
Website: Studying History and Archaeology in Lympne
- The group enjoys regular meetings with an excellent programme lectures, and takes part in research on local history and archaeology as well as undertakes projects including experimental archaeology.
- Swanley History Group is a Community Organisation run by and for anyone interested in preserving the history and heritage of Swanley, Kent and the surrounding area. We aim to collect and preserve photos, books, newspaper cuttings,postcards and other ephemera which relate to the history of the area and its people as well as documenting personal stories and memories.
Tenterden & District Local History Society
Zion Baptist Church
69 High Street
Tenterden, Kent TN30 6BB UK
Telephone: 01233 770082
Website: Tenterden & District Local History Society
Teston History Society
Telephone: 01622 812416
Website: Teston History Society
Three Suttons Society
Sutton Valence School
Maidstone, Kent ME17 3HL UK
Telephone: 01622 843233
Website: Three Suttons Society
- The Society was founded in 1960 to provide a focus for local people with historical interests. Unlike some similar societies it is concerned with national history and with archaeology, as well as with the history of Kent and the local area.
Weald History Group
Weald Memorial Hall
Long Barn Road
Sevenoaks, Kent TN14 6PT UK
Telephone: 01732 463339
Website: Weald History Group
- Our area of interest is West Kent, primarily the Darent Valley, however, we are prepared to move outside this area to assist other societies, groups, landowners, and members of the public with resistivity geophysics, metal detecting, and field walking projects.
Wingham Local History Society
Wingham Village Hall
Canterbury, Kent CT3 1BD UK
Website: Wingham Local History Society
Woodchurch History Society
Woodchurch Memorial Hall
Ashford, Kent TN26 3PF UK
Telephone: 01233 860755
Website: Woodchurch History Society
Woodchurch Local and Family Society
Website: Woodchurch Local and Family Society
- The intention is that the website will over time grow into a useful resource for anyone interested in researching the village, the families that have lived there, and those who continue to make Woodchurch their home.
- The Society covers not just Woolwich but also Greenwich, Woolwich, Charlton, Plumstead, Eltham, Welling, Bexleyheath, and Crayford. Many people have ancestors who spent a few years or a few generation in this area. Many worked at the Royal Arsenal, the Royal Dockyard, or served in the Artillery.
Wrotham Historical Society
Wrotham Village Hall
1 High St
Sevenoaks, Kent TN15 7AA UK
Website: Wrotham Historical Society
- The Wrotham Historical Society was formed in 1998 by a group of enthusiasts determined to research, record, and later publish the history of the village.
- The society was founded in January 1948 and seeks to promote enthusiasm for, and knowledge of, local history. The Society's Book Collection is housed in the Wye Library, Upper Bridge Street, Wye. We also have an extensive Archive collection, which can be consulted by arrangement with the Archivist.