Kansas, Church Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Kansas, Church Records, 1826-1992
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Kansas|
|Location of Kansas|
|Record Type||Births, baptisms, marriage banns, marriages, deaths, burials|
|National Society of The Daughters of The American Revolution, Washington D.C.|
- 1 What is in the Collection?
- 2 What Can these Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing this Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in the Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains church vital records from 1826-1992. They are from different denominations located in several counties. Some of the churches include:
- First Baptist Church (Leavenworth)
- St. John's Lutheran Church (Easton)
- Church of United Brethren in Christ (La Crosse)
- Bethany Lutheran Church (Lindsborg)
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can these Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
Church records may provide information on birth, marriage and death. Birth records may contain:
- Date of birth
- Names of parents
Baptismal records may contain:
- Date of birth
- Date of baptism
- Names of parents
Marriage records may contain:
- Names of bride and groom
- Date of Marriage
- Birthplaces and residences of bride and groom
- Ages of bride and groom
- Occupation of groom
Death records may contain:
- Death date
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the individual
- The denomination
- The place in Kansas where the family lived
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found Who I was Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Search for vital records such as birth, marriage, and death in the county where the family lived
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find family members in census records
I Can’t Find The Person I’m Looking for, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Kansas.
Citing this Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.