Italy, Udine, Civil Registration (State Archive) - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Italy, Udine, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1806-1815, 1871-1911
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the Italian Republic|
|Location of Udine, Italy|
|Location of Italy|
|Record Type:||Civil Registration|
|Title in the Language:||Stato Civile di Udine, Italia|
|Udine State Archive|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Known Issues
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of civil registration (stato civile) of births, marriages, and deaths within the custody of the State Archive of Udine (Archivio di Stato di Udine). The records also include supplemental documents (allegati) and marriage banns and oppositions (pubblicazioni ed opposizioni). Availability of records is largely dependent on time period and locality. Records included in this collection coincide with the modern-day provinces of Pordenone and Udine. This collection is being published as images become available.
For details about the contents of these records, their history, and help using them see the wiki article: Italy, Civil Registration - FamilySearch Historical Records
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
Reading These Records[edit | edit source]
These records are written in Italian. For help reading them see:
- Italy Language and Languages
- Italian Genealogical Word List
- Script Tutorial for Italian
- Italy Handwriting
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Italy, Udine, Civil Registration (State Archive), 1806-1815, 1871-1911.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Your ancestor's given name and surname
- Identifying information such as residence
- Estimated marriage or birth year
- Family relationships
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select Province
- Select Comune or Frazione
- Select Event Type and Year to view the images.
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find more. For instance, use the age listed in the record to estimate a year of birth, if that is yet undetermined
- Make sure to fully transcribe and cite the record entry for future reference
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual. This compiled list can help you identify possible relations that can be further verified by researching vital records indexes in the country
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- A boundary change could have occurred, and the record of you ancestor is now in a neighboring province. Search the records and indexes of neighboring cities, provinces, and regions
- Italy Church Records are also a good substitute when civil records of births, marriages, and deaths cannot be found or are unavailable
- Check for variants of given names, surnames, and place names. Transcription errors could occur in any handwritten record; also, it was not uncommon for an individual be listed under a nickname or an abbreviation of their name
- Your ancestor may have immigrated to another country. Search the records of nearby areas or Italy Emigration and Immigration records
- Search the indexes and records of local genealogical societies
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Italy.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.