Irstead, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Irstead, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
IRSTEAD (St. Michael), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 12 miles (N. N. E.) from Norwich. 
Irstead St Michael is an Ancient Parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Irstead, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Irstead, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 245/ 1-9
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Irstead.htm transcript of 1891 census
Genealogy From Periodicals
[edit | edit source]
Curties. E.A. The Curties Family of Norfolk. History and family tree of Robert Curtes and Prudence Gascoyne, with the following surnames, Barker, Boldney, Leman, Creasey, Doughty, Parker, Paul, Titsell, Smith, Topps, Hutton, Lake, Howard, Summere, Sturt, Bailey, Loynes, Mattewson, Rook. There is a descripiton of each of the family and their life, in many Norfolk Parishes. Brampton, Irstead, Oynead, Aylsham, Sidestand, Oxnead, Scottow, Trimingham, North Walsham, and Swofield. Article dates are 1556-1945, and is found in The Norfok Ancestor, old series, vol. 2,pt2 page 17-22, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j old series, v2. pt. 2
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Irstead on GenUKI
- St Michale, Irstead on The Church of England
- Irstead on Norfolk Churches website
- Irstead on British History Online
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 620-623. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 14 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.