Ireland Census, 1841 - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland Census, 1841
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Ireland|
|National Archives of Ireland|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Known Issues
- 7 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Most of the 1841 census records for Ireland were destroyed after the Irish Civil War bombing on 30 June 1922, when a massive explosion and fire demolished the building and the other records. However, surviving are some records for County Cavan for the 1841 Ireland census.
The 1841 Ireland census is arranged by town, civil parish, barony, and county. (A barony is an administrative division of a county).
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images. For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
To Browse This Collection[edit | edit source]
|You can browse through images in this collection using the waypoints on the Collection Browse Page for Ireland Census, 1841.|
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these census records:
- Family Members’ Names
- Family Members’ Ages
- Relationships to Head of Household
- Marital Status and Date
- Educational or Literacy Status
- Occupation of Head of Household
- Residence County or Township
- Country of Birth
- Death of Family Members since Previous Census
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- Approximate location of residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
View the Images[edit | edit source]
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page:
- Select County
- Select Parish
- Select Townland to view the images.
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Ireland Census, 1841. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Titles may be clues to property ownership, occupations, rank, or status within the community
- Use the ages to calculate estimated birth years and look for birth records
- Use the name of the head of household and spouse to find a marriage record
- Try finding the family or individuals in other census records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
When looking at an image, the citation is found on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen.