Ireland, James Alexander Henderson, The Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Ireland, James Alexander Henderson, The Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Belfast, Antrim, Ireland|
|St. Patrick's Saltire (1783-1801)|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Ireland (1801-1922); Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (1922-present)|
|Flag of the Republic of Ireland (1922-present)|
|Location of Belfast, Antrim, Ireland|
|Location of Ireland|
|James Alexander Henderson, The Belfast and Province of Ulster Directory for 1856. Great Britain: James Alexander Henderson, n.d.|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The first edition of Henderson's directory was published in 1852. Between that time and 1892, only fourteen volumes were published. Beginning in 1894 it was an annual publication, except for the years 1921-1922, when two years were incorporated in on volume.
The directory includes the following lists:
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Person's name
- Street address
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Person's name
- Approximate residence
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information to find the person in other records
- Update your records with the information you have found
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- With some exceptions, persons named in this index were residents of Ulster province. If your ancestor did not live in Ulster, there is a greatly reduced likelihood they will be included here.
- Check for other names. An individual might have been listed under a middle name, a nickname, or an abbreviation of their given name
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in Ireland.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- The Belfast and province of Ulster directory v. 1 (1852) only.
- The Belfast and province of Ulster directory. Non-consecutive years.
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Thom's Irish Who's Who
- Ireland, Thom's Official Directory
- Ireland, Treble Almanac & Dublin Directory
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|