|Iowa Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
|Local Research Resources|
Overview[edit | edit source]
A periodical is a regularly published magazine, newsletter, or journal. Several valuable periodicals concerning Iowa genealogical research exist. Many genealogical and historical societies publish magazines and newsletters. The articles in these periodicals often include the following:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees
- Helpful articles on research methodology
- Transcripts or indexes of biographical sketches, censuses, church records, migration lists, military records, obituaries, wills, vital records, and more
- Historical background
- Current and historical maps
- Information about local and national records, archives, and services
- Interesting articles about social life and customs
- Book advertisements and book reviews
- Advertisements of professional researchers
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors that can help you contact other interested researchers
Periodicals[edit | edit source]
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines for Iowa research are listed below. Many of them have indexes either published separately or included in each volume.
- The Annals of Iowa 1893- Published by the Iowa State Historical Society of Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa FHL book 977.3 B2i; some volumes and an index to volumes 1–8 are on six Family History Library films beginning with 967572 item 20. This periodical contains much biographical and historical information and has cumulative indexes through 1991.
- The Cedar Tree 1971- Published by the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society, 503 South St., Waterloo, Iowa 50701. Family History Library book 977.73 D25c.
- The Genie Bug 1969- Published by the North Central Iowa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 237, Mason City, Iowa 50401 Family History Library book 977.7 D25g; film 1697449 items 1–6. This includes lists of surnames being searched by society members.
- Hawkeye Heritage 1966– Published by the Iowa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 7735, Des Moines, Iowa 50322-7735. FHL book 977.7 D25h; vols. 1–3 on film 928164 items 2–4; vols. 4–5 on film 893705; vols. 6–10 and topical index [vols. 1–10] on film 928349 items 1–6. An index to volumes 1–28 has recently been published.
- Iowa Genealogical Society Newsletter 1980– Published by the Iowa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 7735, Des Moines, Iowa 50322. FHL book 977.7 D25n.
- Iowa Queries 1987- Published by Shirley Penna- Oakes, P.O. Box 397, Black Eagle, Wyoming 59414-0397. FHL book 977.7 D2iq; FHL fiche 6126472, vols. 1–5. This query periodical merged with another and is now Ohio-Indiana-Iowa Queries and Reviews.
- The Palimpsest 1920– This periodical is now called Iowa Heritage Illustrated. Published by the State Historical Society of Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa. FHL book 977.7 B2p; FHL films 1697369 items 1–9 [vol. 2 and 823597 item 11 [vol. 3]]. There are cumulative indexes at the Family History Library for 1920–1929, 1930–1939, 1940–1976.
- The Wahkaw 1981– Published by the Woodbury County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 624, 3412 Old Lakesport Road, Sioux City, Iowa 51102. FHL book 977.7 D25w. This periodical includes Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
Obtaining Periodicals[edit | edit source]
Copies of periodicals are available from the local societies that publish them. Major archives with genealogical collections will have copies of many periodicals, particularly those representing the area they serve. The Periodical Source Index, or PERSI, is the largest subject index to genealogy and local history periodical articles in the world. PERSI is available online and is especially useful because it refers to countless items published in thousands of family history periodicals worldwide. Learn more at the PERSI wiki page here:
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. (Family History Library book 973 D25per; 40 fiche 6016863 (1847-1985); 15 fiche 6016864 (1986-1990).) Partially indexes over 5,000 English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. The microfiche indexes are cumulative; book indexes since 1986 are year-by-year. For further details see the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide (34119).
- Find My Past Researchers can use the Internet edition of this index at Family History Centers via their site.
Once you locate an article in a periodical, check the FamilySearch Catalog and regional or local libraries for available copies. The Family History Library has collected many periodicals, with some available in digital format and accessible online. Iowa periodicals may be found in the FamilySearch Catalog with a Place and Subject search, as found here: Iowa-Periodicals. They can also be found by using:
- Place Search of the country, state/province, and county
- Title Search of the periodical
- Keyword Search for the publishing society name.
Also find Periodical resources available at other libraries via WorldCat. As with the FamilySearch Catalog search, search WorldCat using society names, locality names, and periodical title names. Learn more about how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog on our Wiki pages.