Iowa, County Births - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||Birth Index|
|Multiple county district courts, Iowa|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can This Collection Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of an index to the birth records created by the counties of Iowa. It should contain records from all 99 counties in the state. The collection includes records from 1880 to 1935. Records where the county could not be identified or where the birth took place out of state and was registered in Iowa are listed as "Other" in the table below.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can This Collection Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of child
- Birth date
- Parent's names
- Film number
- Digital folder number
- Image number
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Coverage Table[edit | edit source]
As of May 2016 the collection contained the following:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The name of the parents
- The date and place of birth
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
|More images are available in the FamilySearch Catalog Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935. Some catalog records link to multiple references. In this case, click on a reference to find a camera icon to see images.|
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the age or estimated birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, marriage, and death
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records/Guidelines for Articles.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.