Iowa, Lyon County, Cemetery Records - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Iowa, Lyon County, Cemetery Records, ca.1800- ca.2000
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Lyon, Iowa, |
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||Cemetery Cards|
|Rock Rapids Public Library (Iowa)|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This collection contains cemetery records for various cemeteries in Lyon County, Iowa. The records are in alphabetized by surname. Records will be added if more become available.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
- Name of the Deceased
- Birth Date
- Death Date
- Burial Location
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample Images[edit | edit source]
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- Name of the person
- Approximate date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found in the record to locate the death record
- Search for vital records such as birth, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
I Can't Find the Person I'm Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names, or even initials
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
- Iowa Guided Research
- Iowa Record Finder
- Research Tips and Strategies
- Step-by-Step Research
- Sexton Records
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
- Lyon County. Death records, 1880-1935; index to births and deaths, 1880-1897
- Lyon County, Iowa cemetery records
Related FamilySearch Historical Records Collections[edit | edit source]
- Iowa, Death Records, 1904-1951
- Iowa County Death Records,1880-1992
- Iowa, Adjutant General's Office, Grave Registration Service, Cemetery Records, 1800-2000.
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.