Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations - FamilySearch Historical Records
|Access the Records|
Iowa, Armed Forces Grave Registrations, 1835-1998
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of Iowa|
|Location of Iowa|
|Record Type||Military grave registration|
|State Historical Society of Iowa|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 4 What Do I Do Next?
- 5 Citing This Collection
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
The collection consists of an index to grave registrations of veterans buried in the state of Iowa ca. 1835-1998. The collection is arranged alphabetically and includes more than 270,000 registrations. The collection was acquired from the Iowa State Historical Society in Des Moines and is part of RG 092 records of the Commission of Veteran Affairs. The forms were completed by the funeral director and were forwarded to the Commission of Veteran Affairs of the county of burial.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions see Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
The following information may be found in these records:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person
- The name of a parent or date of the event
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name on the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Use the information found in the record to locate the death record
- Use the age or estimated birth date to determine an approximate birth date to find vital records such as birth, baptism, and marriage
- Use the information found in the record to find land, probate and immigration records
- Use the information found in the record to find additional family members in census records
- Search for church records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Indexes and transcriptions may not include all the data found in the original records. You could get a copy of the original record from the [State Historical Society of Iowa]
- If your ancestor does not have a common name, collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you find possible relatives
- If you cannot locate your ancestor in the locality in which you believe they lived, then try searching records of a nearby town or county
- Try different spellings of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames or alternated between using first and middle names
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
The following articles will help you in your research for your family in the state of Iowa.
Related Family History Library Holdings[edit | edit source]
Related FamilySearch Historical Record Collections[edit | edit source]
- United States Headstone Applications for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1949
- United States Records of Headstones of Deceased Union Veterans, 1879-1903
- Iowa, Adjutant General's Office, Grave Registration Service, Cemetery Records, 1800-2000
- United States Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards, 1907-1933
- United States General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934
Related Digital Books[edit | edit source]
- Cora Chaplin Weed, comp and arranged. Hand book for Iowa Soldier's and Sailors' Monument.Iowa : C.C. Weed, c1897
- William L. Alexander. List of ex-soldiers, sailors and marines, living in Iowa.Des Moines, Iowa : G.E. Roberts, State Printer, 1886
- Roster and record of Iowa soldiers in the War of the Rebellion : together with historical sketches of volunteer organizations, 1861-1866. 6 volumes. Des Moines, Iowa : E. H. English, 1908-1911
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.