Ingworth, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Ingworth, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
History[edit | edit source]
INGWORTH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, l½ mile (N.) from Aylsham. 
Ingworth St Lawrence is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The conical thatched vestry was built from the stump of the original tower which collapsed in the early 1800's. The vestry dates from the 1850's remodelling of the church.
The village’s name comes from the old English for Inga’s enclosure.
Ingworth has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085 where its , its population, land ownership and productive resources were extensively detailed In the survey Ingworth is recorded by the names of Ingewrda and Inghewurda. The main tenants being the Roger Bigot and Reynald Fitzlvo. The survey also list that there was ½ a mill. In the Domesday survey fractions, in this case ½ a mill, were used to indicate that the entry was on an estate that lay within more than one parish.
The parish of Ingworth is very small and covers an area spanning only 212 hectares. The parish has borders with three other parishes. To the north is the parish of Erpingham, Norfolk, to the south-west is the parish of Blickling, Norfolkand the parish of Aylsham, Norfolk is to the south-southeast. The boundary with the parish of Blickling is indicated by the course of the River Bure which also skirts the western edge of the village.
The village has no pub, shop or post office although there is a traditional-style phone box.
Ingworth is a village and a civil parish in the district of North Norfolk for local government purposes. the nearest town is Aylsham which is 1.7 miles (2.7 km) south of the village. The village is 14.3 miles (23.0 km) north of Norwich, 7.3 miles (11.7 km) east of North Walsham and 9 miles (14 km) south-southwest of Cromer on the north Norfolk coast.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Ingworth, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ingworth, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
This parish does not appear at FamilySearch Historical Records as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 521/ 1-6,49
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1600-1609, 1623-1633, 1666-1812 Marriages 1601-1607, 1628, 1666-1812 Burials 1600-1608, 1623-1633, 1666-1812||FHL BRITISH Film |
1526780 Item 7
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Registration Districts[edit | edit source]
Probate Jurisdictions[edit | edit source]
Maps[edit | edit source]
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Ingworth on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 614-620. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.