Indiana Research Tips and Strategies
|Indiana Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Purpose of Research Tips and Strategies Wiki Page
Indiana Research Strategies[edit | edit source]
Below are links to different research strategy pages to help you locate your ancestors in Indiana
- Indiana Online Genealogy Records
- How to find Indiana Birth Records
- How to find Indiana Marriage Records
- How to find Indiana Death Records
- Step-by-Step Indiana Research, 1900 to the Present
Indiana Research Tips[edit | edit source]
These tips will help you as you research your ancestors in Indiana.
- Birth information: Statewide registration of births began in 1907, with compliance by 1920. A helpful substitute record to find birth information is a death record. However, date and place of birth on a death record is considered secondary information, as it was not recorded at the time of the birth event. The birth information should be corroborated with other substitute records to improve accuracy.
- Finding Parents: Death records were recorded by the county health office beginning in 1882, where they remained before mandatory recording with the state board of health began in January 1900. . They often will list the parents of the deceased and their birth information. Search Indiana death records
- Look in all censuses: Always look for your ancestor in every possible census. There are clues regarding immigration, naturalization, and occupation that can lead to other records. Sometimes parents can be found living with their children later in life. Search U.S. Censuses.
Indiana Record Finder[edit | edit source]
This brief Record Finder is designed to help you determine the best record to search for the type of information you are looking for. It is most helpful for post-1850 research. For a more complete Record Finder, covering additional research needs, see Indiana Record Finder.
|1. What you are looking for:||2. Try these records first:||3. Other useful records|
Further Indiana Research[edit | edit source]
- Remember, for a more complete Record Finder, covering additional research needs, see Indiana Record Finder.
- For online record collections, go to Indiana Online Genealogy Records.
- For more research on Indiana, including research at the county level, visit the Indiana page on the Research Wiki.
- Search all of the Indiana record collections at FamilySearch.