Illington, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Illington, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wayland|
|Parish registers: 1673|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ILLINGTON (St. Andrew), aparish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from East Harling. 
Illington St Andrew is an Ancient Parish in the Rockland deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The church is now redundant and lies on the edge of Thetford Chase and the nearby Ministry of Defence Battle Training area.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Illington, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Illington, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1673-1812||Undefined||1673-1913||Undefined||1673-1772, 1783-1812|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 488/1-4
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://apling.freeservers.com/1891Census/Illington.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Illington on GenUKI
- British History online
- Forum information and images about the church from Derelict Places website.
- Literary Norfolk deserted villages
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 608-611 Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.