Ifield, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Ifield, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Ifield St Margaret Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||North Aylesford|
|Registration District||North Aylesford|
|Parish registers: 1751|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1693|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shorham; Post-1844 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
IFIELD (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, W division of Kent, 2½ miles S by E from Gravesend.
Ifield St Margaret is an Ancient parish; Singlewell or Ifield is the name given to the area to the south of Gravesend in Kent. Singlewell or Shinglewell in some record sources is the modern name for the area within Gravesend. See Ifield Kent Wikipedia The church is within the civil parish of Cobham, Kent.
The Church of St Margaret Church Road Cobham contains some remaining Norman material but was rebuilt in 1595, repaired in 1638 and restored in 1838. It is designated as a grade II listed building by English Heritage. British listed building
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
- North Aylesford Registration District
- Strood Registration District
- Strood and Hoo Registration District
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Ifield parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS BTs = England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts (FamilySearch) - free|
|MED = Medway Ancestors - free|
|Ifield Online Parish Records|
Family History Library film numbers
From Spring 2012 material formerly held at
Centre for Kentish Studies, County Hall, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1XX
is available at Kent History and Library Centre see Kent Archives which also enables a search of the catalogue for Kent Archives material deposited at Canterbury Cathedral Archives
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records.
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census returns for Ifield 1841-1891 (Most available to browse online)
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Gillingham Family History Centre, Kent
- Canterbury England Family History Centre
- Maidstone Family History Centre, Kent
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 603-608. Date accessed: 15 August 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.