Idmiston with Porton, Wiltshire Genealogy
Guide to Idmiston with Porton, Wiltshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Idmiston with Porton, Wiltshire|
|Poor Law Union||Amesbury|
|Parish registers: 1577; Separate registers exist for Porton beginning 1754|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1622; Separate records exist for Porton beginning 1622|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Salisbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Wiltshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
IDMISTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Amesbury, hundred of Alderbury, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Amesbury. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Idmiston with Porton parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|NIM = Nimrod Research - (£). Results delivered by email.|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|IDMISTON WITH PORTON PARISH Online Records|
Porton chapelry registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PORTON CHAPELRY Online Records|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Wiltshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 600-603. Date accessed: 25 September 2013.
- 'Wiltshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Wiltshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 January 2014.
- Wiltshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 3 November 2013.
- 'Wiltshire Parish Explorer,' Nimrod Research, accessed 8 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.