Guide to Iceland ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|Iceland Research Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Country Information[edit | edit source]
Iceland is an island between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans settled by Vikings in 874. It was governed by Denmark from 1381 to 1944, when it gained full independence as a Republic. The official language is Icelandic.
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Getting Started with Iceland Research
Links to articles on getting started with Iceland research.
Iceland Research Tools
Links to articles and websites that assist in Iceland research.
Finding Your Ancestors' Town in Iceland[edit | edit source]
- Genealogical records are organized by geographical locality. Civil registration (government birth, marriage, and death records) and church records (christenings/baptisms, marriages, and burials) were kept at the local level. To search these records, you must know the town where your ancestors lived.
- If you do not know your ancestors' town, follow the advice in the Wiki article, Iceland Finding Town of Origin, to search a variety of records that might provide that information.
Iceland Map[edit | edit source]
Counties[edit | edit source]
More Iceland Research Tools[edit | edit source]
Research tools can include resources that assist in locating correct records to search and determining the correct locality to search in. Below are links and Wiki articles to research tools in Iceland.
- Census Headings
- Íslenski Ættfræðivefurinn - Iceland GenWeb
- The National Archives Census Database
- Iceland GenWeb
- Icelandic Association of Utah
- Icelandic-Spanish Fork-Vigdis Johnson
- Libweb - Directory of Libraries in Iceland
- The Emigration from Iceland to North America
- Þjóðskjalasafn Íslands - Iceland Archives
- Icelandic Roots
FamilySearch Resources[edit | edit source]
Below are FamilySearch resources that can assist you in researching your family.
- Facebook Communities - Facebook groups discussing genealogy research
- Learning Center - Online genealogy courses
- Historical Records
- Family History Center locator map
References[edit | edit source]
- The Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, “Family History Record Profile: Iceland,” Word document, private files of the FamilySearch Content Strategy Team, 1988-1997.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Iceland," in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland, accessed 24 March 2016.