Holme next the Sea, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Holme next the Sea, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Holme next the Sea, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Docking|
|Parish registers: 1704|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HOLME-NEXT-THE-SEA (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 18 miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn. 
Holme next the Sea St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich.
Holme-next-the-Sea is a small village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is situated on the north Norfolk coast some 5 km north-east of the seaside resort of Hunstanton, 30 km north of the town of King's Lynn and 70 km north-west of the city of Norwich. For local government, the parish falls within the district of King's Lynn and West Norfolk.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Holme next the Sea parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HOLME NEXT THE SEA PARISH Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 629
Parish registers, 1704-1900 and a transcript of register bills, 1698-1753
Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.
Baptisms 1704-1738, 1760-1900 Marriages 1705-1738, 1814-1836 Burials 1704-1739, 1760-1770, 1881-1812 Baptisms, marriages & burials 1784-1785 Marriages & banns 1754-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1657204 Items 1-6
Register bills in the Bishop's Registry, Norwich: Baptisms 1698, 1738, 1743-1747, 1753 Marriages 1738, 1743-1746, 1753 Burials 1698, 1738, 1743-1747, 1753 FHL BRITISH Film 1657204 Item 7
Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1812
Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms 1725-1812 Marriages 1735-1810 Burials 1725-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526810 Item 3
Overseers' accounts and baptisms and burials of Holme-next-the-Sea Microreproduction of original records at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.
Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD629/50-52.
Rates, which are taxes, are determined by property valuation, therefore church and poor rates list owners and occupiers of properties. In some cases, they are listed alphabetically by surname.
Parish chest materials which are identified in these records as chiefly churchwardens' accounts and/or vestry minutes, can contain a variety of records including accounts, minutes, lists of parish officers, church and/or poor rates, payments made to the poor, lists of charities, donors to special collections, terriers (identification of parish boundaries and properties), description of church silver or plate, copies of wills and various other records pertaining to the history and life of the parish.
Burials, 1704-1722, overseers' accounts, etc., 1704-1851, baptisms, 1718-1721, 1713-1717, 1708-1713, 1704-1707 (all the foregoing are in one book). FHL BRITISH Film 2147178 Items 5 - 7
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Holme-next-the-Sea on GenUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 533-537. Date accessed: 01 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.