Hickling, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Hickling, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HICKLING (St. Mary), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E.) from Stalham. 
Hickling St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The village is split into two parts, Hickling Green and Hickling Heath. Hickling Heath is the part which usually attracts the most tourists who come on boat trips and moor up at the staithe there.
Hickling village is situated on the edge of the Hickling Broads and is popular because of the large wildlife reserve and the local public houses for motor cruisers and day launches.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Hickling, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Hickling, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 449/1-10, 13-14<be>
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
For Tunstead and Happing see Smallburgh Workhouse
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Hickling on GenUKI
- Hickling St Mary
- Hickling Village website
- St Mary's Church Contains tour of church.
- British History online
- Church of St Mary Hickling on British Listed Buildings
- Hickling on Norfolk Churchs
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., ATopographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 505-509. Date accessed: 01 April 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- Pallot's Marriage and Births Indexes: Guide to Parishes, n.d.; digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.