Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire Genealogy
Guide to Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Hemel Hempstead or Hempstead, Hemel (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, is in the hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford; containing the chapelries of Bovingdon and Flaunden. It is 19 1/2 miles (W. by S.) from Hertford, and 23 miles (N.W.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Huntingtonians, and Wesleyans.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Hemel Hempstead St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HEMEL HEMPSTEAD PARISH Online Records|
Hemel Hempstead St Paul parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Hemel Hempstead St Paul Online Records|
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
1524/5 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1524/5 Lay Subsidy (E179/120/122 rolls 2 and 4) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228679.
1626 Subsidy[edit | edit source]
- 1626 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/329 membrane 2) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
1628 Subsidies[edit | edit source]
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/331 roll 1) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/333 roll 3) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
- 1628 Lay Subsidy (E179/121/336 roll 2) has been microfilmed: FHL Film 2228680.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Hemel Hempstead on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 January 2014.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' findmypast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.