Help:Wiki University Wikitext--Tutorial
- Nesting Lists
- Broken Links
- Image Embedding
- Image Tooltips & Borders
- Image Links
- Images & Text; Embedding PDF
- Snipping Tool & Paint
- Inline Styling
- Changing Fonts
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Div Tag - Intro
- Width and Height
- Alignment - Horizontal
- Breadcrumb Trails
Other Coding Options
LESSON STRUCTURE[edit | edit source]
- This is a set of short lessons to teach you the fundamentals of Wikitext. Wikitext is the computer language of FamilySearch Wiki as well as all other Wikis.
- The lessons are designed to help you learn the language in small easy-to-digest bites.
- The exercise and/or questions at the end of each lesson are designed to help you learn how to apply the principles taught in the lessons. Please do not pass them up.
- The lessons will help you to assimilate the knowledge necessary for you to edit and/or add content to FamilySearch Wiki.
- The left sidebar will give you some idea of the items we will cover in these Wikitext lessons.
WHAT IS WIKITEXT?[edit | edit source]
- Wikitext is the underlying language of all Wikis, whether it be FamilySearch Wiki, Wikipedia or Wikimedia.
- However Wikitext has very limited capabilities.
- Basically, all it can do is put black letters on a white background. It is very limited in what it can do to make a page interesting to look at. For that we need Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
OBTAIN WIKI EDITING RIGHTS[edit | edit source]
Before you can edit the Wiki, you must be assigned the Wiki role of editor and page creator. You need only request this once. Once you are an editor and page creator, you will remain so as long as you follow Wiki Guidelines and Policies. To request to edit the Wiki, please fill out this form. You should receive an email within 2 business days regarding your editing status in the English Wiki. For more information.
CSS - CASCADING STYLE SHEETS[edit | edit source]
- These are series of codes which can add a little character to a page such as borders and background colors. CSS basically controls how a page will look to our patrons.
HTML - LANGUAGE OF THE INTERNET[edit | edit source]
- All internet sites including FamilySearch Wiki are based on the programming language called HTML, which stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. There is a separate course for HTML programming.
- Wikitext is actually a simplified version of HTML.
- HTML will give you more capabilities than Wikitext.
SANDBOX PAGE[edit | edit source]
- If you have not done so already, please create one or more sandbox pages where you can practice your Wikitext lessons.
- You can review the instructions for creating sandboxes by going to the chapter on Sandbox Creation.