Help:Wiki University HTML--Sidebars
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Nesting Lists
- Fonts - Changing
- Font Size
- Font Colors
- Font Bold-Italics
- Width and Height
- Tables - Borders
- Tables - Widths
- Tables - Captions
- Tables - Col Labels
- Tables - Cells
- Tables - Rows
- Tables - Placement
- Tables - Sorting
- Tables - Scrolling
- Tables - Col Only
- Tables - Col Spans
- Tables - Row Spans
- Infobox - Creating
- Infobox - Placing
- Infobox - If function
- Position - Relative
- Position - Absolute
WHAT IS A SIDEBAR[edit | edit source]
- The light gray elongated box to the left is a sidebar.
- Sidebars contain a list of links to other pages that go into detail of the subject of the page you are on.
- A place where you can navigate to the other pages without having to search for them.
- Sidebars are very similar to infoboxes; they are templates as well.
SIDEBARS ARE TEMPLATES[edit | edit source]
- Side bars are really only templates with a special use.
HOW SIDEBARS DIFFER FROM INFOBOXES[edit | edit source]
- They are usually saved on the left side of the page as opposed to the right for infoboxes.
- They usually contain a list of clickable links (internal or external), as you see, on the sidebar to the left.
- They sometimes have a place to add announcements or additional information of interest.
- They are floated to the left so text and other material may float alongside on the right.
HOW TO CREATE A SIDEBAR[edit | edit source]
- Sidebars are templates and created in the same manner.
- If the sidebar only contains a list of links, using list format will do in most cases.
- The sidebar on this page was created with a one column table in order to generate a sortable list of internal links.
ADDING NEWS AND EVENTS[edit | edit source]
- Sometimes these sidebars allow for announcements or additional information to be added and edited. Check out County Cork Genealogy. If there were any announcements, they would be posted under News and Events on the sidebar on that page.
- To add information to sidebars, we use our parameter coding.
Let's create a sidebar with the ability to add announcements and we will format it with a one column table:
|News and events here|
|Add items of interest here.|
Here is the coding; it should look familiar:
- NOTICE we used the renaming of the parameters as demonstrated in creating infoboxes
SAVING THE SIDEBAR[edit | edit source]
- Be sure to include the word "sidebar" somewhere in your title so people will know what the template is about.
PLACING THE SIDEBAR[edit | edit source]
- Same procedure as with infoboxes.
- This time you will add the parameters for News and Events and Additional Information:
TRY THESE OUT . . . .[edit | edit source]