Haverhill, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Haverhill, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Risbridge|
|Parish registers: 1660|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Diocese||Pre-1837 - Norwich; Post-1836 - Ely|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Sudbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Haverhill, is a small town, a parish, and subdistrict, in Risbridge district, Suffolk and Essex. The town stands on a head stream of the River Stour, and on the Colne Valley and Cambridge railway, 1 3/4 miles E of the boundary with Cambridgeshire, and 13 1/4 miles NW of Halstead. There are four dissenting chapels.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Haverhill parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Haverhill Online Parish Records|
|FS Catalog PRs|
|FS Catalog BTs|
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
- Records are also available at the Essex Record Office (online records available at Essex Archives Online).
- Parish records for this area are located in the FamilySearch Catalog under Suffolk.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Baptist (Suffolk)
- Independent/Congregational (Suffolk)
- Presbyterian (Suffolk)
- Society of Friends (Quaker) (Suffolk)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Haverhill (Suffolk) on Genuki
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870). Adapted: date accessed 21 May 2013.
- Searching Parish Records online (Essex) - The Following Parishes are Available at TheGenealogist, ParishRegister.co.uk, accessed 23 April 2019.