Haslemere, Surrey Genealogy
Guide to Haslemere, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|County||Surrey, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Hambledon|
|Parish registers: 1573; For more records see Chiddingfold|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1689; 1717; 1729; 1800|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey History Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HASLEMERE (St. Bartholomew), a market-town and parish, and formerly a representative borough, in the union of Hambledon, Second division of the hundred of Godalming, W. division of Surrey, 12½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Guildford, and 42 (S. W.) from London. There is a place of worship for Independents.
HASLEMERE, a decayed town and a parish in Hambledon district, Surrey. The town stands on the Guildford and New Portsmouth railway, amid pleasant environs of hill and vale, 9 miles SSW of Godalming. There is an Independent chapel.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
To find the names of the neighboring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Taxation[edit | edit source]
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 26 February 2014.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870; http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/index.jsp
- 'About Surrey, England, Extracted Parish Records,' Ancestry, accessed 12 May 2012.
- Batches C013482, C013483, P013481, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- Batches M013481, M013482, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- Surrey Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 14 April 2012.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.