Halvergate, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Halvergate, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Blofield|
|Parish registers: 1550|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HALVERGATE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Acle. 
Halvergate St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich. Norfolk Churches provides pictures of this church with a little bit of history. Another view is provided by Maureen Mitchell.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Blofield 1837-1938
- Norwich Outer 1939-1974
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Halvergate, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Halvergate, Norfolk Genealogy Online Records|
Browse Bishop's Transcript Images on FamilySearch
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 354/1-6
Primitive Methodist Chapel was established in 1878. Maureen Mitchell provides a picture of this church through the Norfolk Transcript Archives website.
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Land Records [edit | edit source]
1597 Subsidy Taxes courtesy of Norfolk Transcription Archives
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's website: The Workhouse
The union consisted of the following parishes: Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Bradestone, Brundall, Buckenham Ferry, Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter, Cantley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe, Lingwood, Moulton, Great Plumstead, Little Plumstead, Postwick, Ranworth with Panxworth, Reedham, Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Andrew, Tunstall, Upton with Fishley, Walsham St Lawrence, Walsham St Mary, Wickhampton, Witton, Woodbastwick.
Blofield Union was incorporated under the 1834 Act. The Union Workhouse was opened in 1836 at Lingwood. Blofield Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 3 in 1930.
Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 6 May 1971 (C/GP2/29) and on unknown dates
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Norfolk: Halvergate on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- British Listed Buildings
- Broadland District Council
- Halvergate on Norfolk Churches
- Primitive Methodist Chapel Photo
- photograph of St Peter and St Paul
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 383-387. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Church of England Bishops' Transcripts Parish Search/Halvergate', FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 11 April 2016.