Halse, Somerset Genealogy
Guide to Halse, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||Williton and Freemanners|
|County||Somerset, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Taunton|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Taunton|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Archives and Local Studies|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
HALSE (St. James), a parish, in the union of Taunton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, though locally in the W. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (E. ) from Wiveliscombe.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Halse, Somerset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HALSE PARISH Online Records|
|FREG||1599, 1653-1862||1559-1886||1599, 1653-1853|
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Tax records[edit | edit source]
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 20 September 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Digital Library.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- E 179 Database, The National Archives, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/, accessed 8 August 2013.