Gunthorpe, Norfolk Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Guide to Gunthorpe, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records. {{Infobox England Jurisdictions

Gunthorpe, Norfolk
Type Ancient Parish
Civil Jurisdictions
Hundred Holt
County Norfolk
Poor Law Union Walsingham
Registration District Walsingham
Records begin
Parish registers: 1558
Bishop's Transcripts: 1602
Ecclesiastical Jurisdictions
Rural Deanery Holt
Diocese Norwich
Province Canterbury
Legal Jurisdictions
Probate Court Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich
Location of Archive
Norfolk Record Office

Parish History[edit | edit source]

GUNTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Holt. [1]


Gunthorpe St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Holt deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.


Gunthorpe is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is listed with the names of Gunatorp and Gunestorp[3]. The first tenant was Peter de Valognes
A 13th-14th century church, restored in the 19th Century. Attractively set in a large churchyard, it is a prominent local landmark.

The tower has fine chequered flush work battlements. The Victorian stained glass, put in during the 1860’s by the then Squire and Rector, Revd. Canon John Sparke, is of special interest.

The East window commemorates the death of his son at Balaclava in 1854 and was put in by William Warrington, a London designer.

The other windows are by Frederick Preedy of Worcester, who was the architect who built the school opposite the church (1867) and was in charge of rebuilding the chancel in the 1860’s.

Resources[edit | edit source]

Find Neighboring Parishes[edit | edit source]

Use England Jurisdictions 1851 Map

  • Type the name of the parish in the search bar
  • Click on the location pin on the map
  • Choose Options from the pop up box
  • Click "List Contiguous Parishes" to find the neighboring parishes

Civil Registration[edit | edit source]

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

  • 1837-1938 Walsingham
  • 1939-1974 Fakenham

Contact Norfolk County Council

Church Records[edit | edit source]

The Church of England (Anglican) became the official state religion in 1534, with the reigning monarch as its Supreme Governor.
Non-Conformist refers to all other religious denominations that are not the official state religion.

Church of England[edit | edit source]

Due to the increasing access of online records:

  • Individual parish coverage for databases in this table are inconsistent and should be verified
  • Dates in the following table are approximate

Hover over the collection's title for more information

Gunthorpe Online Parish Records
Collections
Baptisms
Marriages
Burials
Indexes and images
Indexes only
Indexes and images
Indexes only
Indexes and images
Indexes only
FamilySearch Collections-Norfolk
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
FamilySearch Parish Registers-Norfolk
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
FamilySearch Bishop's Transcripts-Norfolk
1600s-1900s
-
1600s-1900s
-
1600s-1900s
-
FamilySearch Archdeacon's Transcripts-Norfolk
1600s-1800s
-
1600s-1800s
-
1600s-1800s
-
Bishop's Transcripts - FamilySearch Catalog
1700s-1800s
-
1700s-1800s
-
1700s-1800s
-
FreeREG
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
Find My Past-Norfolk ($)
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
1500s-1900s
-
Find My Past Bishop's Transcript-Norfolk ($)
1700s-1800s
-
1700s-1800s
-
1700s-1900s
-
Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Early) ($)
1500s-1800s
-
1500s-1800s
-
1500s-1800s
-
Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Late) ($)
1800s-1900s
-
1700s-1900s
-
1800s-1900s
-
Ancestry Church of England-Norfolk (Transcriptions) ($)
-
1600s-1900s
-
1600s-1900s
-
1600s-1900s
Ancestry-England & Wales, Birth, Christening, Marriage and Death Indexes ($)
-
1800s-1900s
-
1800s-1900s
-
1800s-1900s
Databases with Known Incomplete Parish Coverage
Boyd's Marriage Indexes-FMP (Free)
-
-
-
1500s-1800s
-
-
National Burial Index-FMP (Free)
-
-
-
-
-
1600s-1900s

Other Websites
These databases have incomplete parish coverage.

Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]

Census Records[edit | edit source]

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.



Genealogy From Periodicals[edit | edit source]

Elgar, Dennis. "They Did Not Move Around Much Before 1900." History of William Elgar and Susan Rolin, starting in 1801, with moves to Binham, Gunthorpe, Tasburgh, Engfield, Hales, Bedford, Leeds Yorkshire, with surnames Massingham, Butlar, Ramm, Livick, Brier, Prewett, Sheppard, Gilbert, Mills, Nicholson, McClarty. dated 1801-1978.Article in The Norfolk Ancestor, vol. 7 pt.11, Dec 1995, pages 432-435, Family History Library Ref. 942.61 B2j v, 7 n.6-13

Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]


Walsingham Union was incorporated under the terms of the 1834 Act, and the union workhouse was built at Great Snoring, but not completed until 1838. The Walsingham Union Workhouse at Great Snoring was opened in 1838. It was situated close to the boundary between the parishes of Great Snoring and Thursford and was sometimes known as Thursford Workhouse. Poor Law Unions were abolished in 1930 and the responsibilities of Walsingham Union Board of Guardians were taken over by Norfolk County Council Guardians' Committee No. 7. From 1930 the former Workhouse became known as Walsingham Public Assistance Institution. On 26 and 27 June 1934 the remaining thirty inmates (including two infants but no children) were transferred to West Beckham and Gressenhall Institutions and Walsingham Institution officially closed on 30 June 1934. The building was subsequently adapted for use as a smallpox hospital. By 1976 the building was derelict and was demolished in the early 1990s.
Acquisition Received by the Norfolk Record Office on 26 February 1982 (C/GP 19/192-198) and on unknown dates.

Copies C/GP19/1-6, 131, 133-135, 137, 141, 143-146, 148, 150-151, 173-181 are on microfilm.
RelatedMaterial For records of Guardians Committee No. 7 (including the administration of Red House Children's Home in Little Snoring and the boarding-out of children), see C/GC 7. See Public Assistance Sub-Committee minutes, 11 July 1934 and 12 September 1934, C/C 10/455. The records of the County Architect's Department include plans of the alterations for use as a smallpox hospital dated February 1937, see C/AR 1/29-31. The one inch to one mile Ordnance Survey Map of 1954 designates the building 'smallpox hospital'.

Probate Records[edit | edit source]

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Websites[edit | edit source]

References[edit | edit source]

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 360-362. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.