Greenwich St Alfege, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Greenwich, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Greenwich St Alfege, Kent|
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Greenwich|
|Parish registers: 1615; Separate registers exist for Greenwich Royal Naval Asylum beginning 1822 and for Greenwich Royal Hospital School beginning 1705|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718; Separate records exist for Greenwich Royal Naval Asylum beginning 1807 and for Greenwich Royal Hospital School beginning 1813|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Post-1844 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
- 1 Parish History
- 2 Resources
- 3 Maps and Gazetteers
- 4 Websites
- 5 References
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GREENWICH, a town, a parish, and a district, in Kent. The town is suburban to London, within the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan police and the Central Criminal court; is...opposite the Isle of Dogs...5 miles southeast by east of London Bridge.
Greenwich St Alfege Greenwich High Road is an Ancient Parish in North West Kent. The chapel of ease St Mary in King William Walk was part of this parish. The chapel of ease was built in 1823 and closed in 1919 (demolished 1936) It kept no separate register.
The church dates from 1711 and was the first of the "Fifty new churches" to be built from the 1711 Act [New Churches in London and Westminster Act 1710 (9 Anne c. 17)] and was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor.
The church has been designated a grade I listed building by English Heritage British Listed Building
See also Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 1 (1797), pp. 372-420 at British History Online.
From this parish was created East Greenwich Christ Church, Kent Genealogy and Greenwich St Paul Devonshire Drive which was built 1865-1866 and formed an ecclesiastical parish in 1864 declared redundant 1984 and is now a Seventh Day Adventist church, from St Paul was formed the ecclesiastical parish of St Peter Bridge Street in 1867, the church being built in 1866, and sustained bomb damage 1941; the parish merged with this parish in 1951 and the church was demolished 1955.
Here is A Comprehensive List of Greenwich Chapels and District Churches. These chapels and churches are all attached to and come under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of St Alfege Parish.
For a map of the Greenwich parishes formed from this parish visit Greenwich North West Kent Family History Society and the relevant linked pages for parishes.
Westcombe Park St George, Kirkside Road, dates from 1892 Westcombe Park St George
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Greenwich St Alfege parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Greenwich St Alfege Online Parish Records|
|IGI||1615-1660, 1801-1866||1615-1659, 1718-1719, 1801-1837|
Greenwich Crooms Hill Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish[edit | edit source]
Greenwich Crooms Hill Our Lady Star of the Sea parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|Greenwich Crooms Hill Our Lady Star of the Sea Online Parish Records|
Greenwich Royal Hospital[edit | edit source]
Greenwich Royal Hospital parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Greenwich Royal Hospital Online Parish Records|
Greenwich Royal Hospital 1720-1856 Christenings Batch (C020002)
Royal Hospital Bishops Transcripts Christenings 1813-1838; 1865-1869 (50%) Batch (P020001)
Nonconformists[edit | edit source]
- George Street Wesleyan Chapel Christenings 1821-1837 Batch (C068361)
- Greenwich Road Newchapel 1777-1857 Christenings Batch (C068341)
- Maize Hill Independent 1811-1837 Christenings Batch (C068351)
Land Tax[edit | edit source]
- Images for Greenwich are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records 1780-1832
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870)
- London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as St Alfege in Greenwich Borough. Described as Greenwich Hospital in Greenwich Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Greenwich St Alphege in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Greenwich St Alphege in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry ($). Described as Greenwich St Alphege in Greenwich Borough. Described as Greenwich Hospital, Romney Road, Greenwich in Greenwich Borough. Partially indexed.
- "Boyd's London Burials Index - places and counts," Find My Past, accessed 8 June 2011. Indexes adult male burials only.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.