Great Yeldham, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Great Yeldham, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Great Yeldham, Essex|
St. Andrew's Great Yeldham, Essex
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Halstead|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Great Yeldham or Yelham (Great), is a parish, with a village, in Halstead district, Essex; on the Colne Valley railway, 6 1/2 miles NW of Halstead. It has a post office and a railway station.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Great Yeldham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Great Yeldham Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Great Yeldham on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson Wilson Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870). Adapted: date accessed 21 May 2013.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 19 April 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.