Great Hallingbury, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Great Hallingbury, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Great Hallingbury, Essex|
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Bishop's Stortford|
|Registration District||Bishop's Stortford|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1639; 1706; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Great Hallingbury or Hallinbury (Great) is also known as Hallingbury Morley, it is a village and a parish in the district of Bishop Stortford and county of Essex. The village stands near the River Stort, the Great Eastern railway and the boundary with Hertfordshire; it is 2 miles SE of Bishop Stortford.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Great Hallingbury parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|Great Hallingbury Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Protestant Dissenters
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Great Hallingbury on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Adapted: date accessed 21 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 23 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.