Great Ellingham, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Great Ellingham, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Great Ellingham, Norfolk|
|County||Norfolk, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Wayland|
|Parish registers: 1630|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1691|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
ELLINGHAM, GREAT (St. James), a parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Attleburgh. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Great Ellingham St James is an Ancient parish in the Rockland deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD. Wayland 1837-1974
Church records[edit | edit source]
Great Ellingham, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Great Ellingham, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|NTA||1815-1850 (gaps)||1729, 1790-1847|
Non-Conformist Church Records[edit | edit source]
- 1613-1901 England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
Census records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
http://apling.freeservers.com/1891Census/GreatEllingham.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
- Great Ellingham on GenUKI
- Great Ellingham St James Parish Info on AChurchNearYou
- Great Ellingham benefice website
- British History online
- British Listed Building
- Church Images
- Great Ellingham Tower mill images and history
- Great Elllingham Norfolk Churches website
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 158-161. Date accessed: 18 March 2013.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.