Great Dunmow, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Great Dunmow, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Great Dunmow, Essex|
St Mary the Vrigin Great Dunmow Essex
|Poor Law Union||Dunmow|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629; 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Middlesex (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Great Dunmow or Dunmow (Great), is a small town and a parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The town stands on an eminence on the right bank of the River Chelmer, adjacent to the Bishop Stortford and Braintree railway, at the Junction of the Ongar line, 8½ miles W of Braintree. There is a church, three dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Great Dunmow parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Great Dunmow Online Parish Records|
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- Roman Catholic
- Society of Friends (Quaker)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- 1851 Census returns for both Great and Little Dunmow are missing.
Poor Law Union[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Great Dunmow on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Adapted: date accessed 21 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 23 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.