Great Britain, Births and Baptisms - FamilySearch Historical Records
|This is a Legacy Collection|
This collection is a partial index of records for this locality. The collection was originally assembled for publication in April 2010. Since that time only a few records may have been added. As no additional records will be added, or any corrections made to the data, this is considered to be a "Legacy" collection.
Where significant issues with the data have been identified, a Known Issues Wiki article has been created. See the table of contents of this article to see if one is available.
As this is an index of records compiled from various sources, it is strongly recommended that you verify any information you find with original records.
|Access the Records|
Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|Location of Great Britain|
|Record Type||Births and Baptisms|
- 1 What is in This Collection?
- 2 What Can These Records Tell Me?
- 3 Collection Content
- 4 How Do I Search This Collection?
- 5 What Do I Do Next?
- 6 Citing This Collection
- 7 How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?
What is in This Collection?[edit | edit source]
This index is an index for the years 1571 to 1977. It is not complete for any particular place, region or time period. This collection may include information previously published in the International Genealogical Index.
Image Visibility[edit | edit source]
Whenever possible FamilySearch makes images and indexes available for all users. However, rights to view these data are limited by contract and subject to change. Because of this there may be limitations on where and how images and indexes are available or who can see them. Please be aware some collections consist only of partial information indexed from the records and do not contain any images.
For additional information about image restrictions, please see the Restrictions for Viewing Images in FamilySearch Historical Record Collections page.
What Can These Records Tell Me?[edit | edit source]
Not all records contain the same information. Generally, the following are included:
- The name of the child
- Date and place of birth
- Date and place of christening
- Names of the parents
Collection Content[edit | edit source]
Sample of indexed information:
How Do I Search This Collection?[edit | edit source]
Before searching this collection, it is helpful to know:
- The name of the person you are looking for
- Approximate date of birth
Search the Index[edit | edit source]Search by name by visiting the Collection Details Page.
- Fill in the search boxes in the Search Collection section with the information you know
- Click Search to show possible matches
How Do I Analyze the Results?[edit | edit source]
Compare each result from your search with what you know to determine if there is a match. This may require viewing multiple records or images. Keep track of your research in a research log.
What Do I Do Next?[edit | edit source]
I Found the Person I Was Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Add any new information to your records
- Beginning in 1841, search the census records for the individual
- Continue to look for the individual in civil and parish marriage records
- Continue to look for the individual in civil and parish death records
- Collect entries for every person who has the same surname. This list can help you identify possible relations that can be verified by records
I Can’t Find the Person I’m Looking For, What Now?[edit | edit source]
- Try viewing the original record to see if there were errors in the transcription of the name, age, residence, etc.
- When looking for an individual with a common name, look at all the search results before deciding which is the correct person
- Standard spelling of names typically did not exist during the periods our ancestors lived in. Try variations of your ancestor’s name
- Remember that sometimes individuals went by nicknames, abbreviations of a name, or alternated between using first and middle names
- Spelling was not standardized for much of the period of this collection, so names were often spelled as recorders heard them. Pay attention to how the name should have been pronounced and try spelling variations that could have that pronunciation
- Vary the search terms. For example, expand the date range or search by either the given name or surname to return a broader list of search results
- Search in other nearby locations
Research Helps[edit | edit source]
- Scotland Guided Research, Ireland Guided Research, England Guided Research
- Scotland Record Finder, Ireland Record Finder, Wales Record Finder England Record Finder
- Scotland Research Tips and Strategies, Ireland Research Tips and Strategies, Wales Research Tips and Strategies, England Research Tips and Strategies
Citing This Collection[edit | edit source]
Citations help you keep track of places you have searched and sources you have found. Identifying your sources helps others find the records you used.
The citation for this collection can be found on the Collection Details Page in the section Citing this Collection.
When looking at a record, the citation can be viewed by clicking the drop-down arrow next to Document Information.
How Can I Contribute to the FamilySearch Wiki?[edit | edit source]
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Historical Records.|
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.