Grays Thurrock, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Grays Thurrock, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Grays Thurrock, Essex|
St Peter and Paul Grays Essex contributor Ron Galliers
|County||Essex, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||Orsett|
|Parish registers: 1674|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1629|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Essex|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
Grays Thurrock, or Grays, is a small town and a parish in Orsett district, Essex. The town stands on the Thames, and on the London and Southend railway, between Fiddler's Reach and Northfleet Hope, it is 3 miles WNW of Tilbury Fort and 10 miles SE of Romford.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Grays Thurrock parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|ESSEX = EssexAncestors - (£)|
|FSPRs = England, Essex Parish Registers, 1503-1997 (FamilySearch) - free|
|Grays Thurrock Online Parish Records|
Online images are available Essex Record Office
- St Peter and Paul, also available All Saints,
- Salisbury Road Strict Baptist Church register of burials,
- Grays and Romford Primitive Methodist Church baptisms register,
- London Road Wesleyan Methodist Church Baptisms and Marriages,
- New Road United Methodist Church baptisms and marriages.
Non-Conformist Churches[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images
- 1613-1971 England, Essex Non-Conformist Church Records, 1613-1971 at FamilySearch - How to Use this Collection; index (dates may vary by parish)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Wesleyan Methodist
- Wesleyan Methodist Reform
Census Records[edit | edit source]
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex ($)
Grays Thurrock on GENUKI
References[edit | edit source]
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870. Adapted: date accessed: 21 May 2013.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 23 September 2014.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.