Godmersham, Kent Genealogy
Guide to Godmersham, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Godmersham St Lawrence Kent
|County||Kent, England Genealogy|
|Poor Law Union||East Ashford|
|Registration District||East Ashford|
|Parish registers: 1600|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1564|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent History and Library Centre|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GODMERSHAM (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, hundred of Felborough, lathe of Shepway, E division of Kent, 6¼ miles NE by N from Ashford. 
Godmersham is a village and civil parish in the Ashford district of Kent, see Godmersham Wikipedia.
Godmersham St Lawrence the Martyr is an Ancient Parish in the West Bridge Deanery of the Diocese of Canterbury; a map of the parish boundary is available A church near you.
The Parish Church of St Lawrence, Ashford Road, Godmersham has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building.
See Kent Archeological Society and Edward Hasted, The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 (1798), pp. 319-332.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House (Certificate Centre)
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church Records[edit | edit source]
Godmersham parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = findmypast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Godmersham Online Parish Records|
|FMP||1600-1883||1600-1883||1560-1837; 1755-1927 (Banns)||1560-1837; 1755-1927 (Banns)||1600-1812||1600-1812|
Non-Conformists (All other Religions)[edit | edit source]
- 1717 England & Wales, Roman Catholics, 1717 at FindMyPast ($), index and images (coverage may vary)
Census Records[edit | edit source]
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through Family History Center Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK.
- Introduction to Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
- Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable).
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions[edit | edit source]
Probate Records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre[edit | edit source]
- Family History Center Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate - FamilySearch Historical Records and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments - FamilySearch Historical Records means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Websites[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 301-312. Date accessed; 5 August 5 2013.
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987).
- 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.