Gnosall, Staffordshire Genealogy
Guide to Gnosall, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Newport|
|Parish registers: 1572|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1687|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Manor of Gnosall|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
Parish History[edit | edit source]
GNOSALL (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Newport, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 6½ miles (W. S. W.) from Stafford. 
Resources[edit | edit source]
Civil Registration[edit | edit source]
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Church records[edit | edit source]
Gnosall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|GNOSALL PARISH Online Records|
|FS||1572-1704, 1739-1757, 1800-1802||1702-1704, 1739-1757, 1800-1836|
Census records[edit | edit source]
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Gnosall, Staffordshire Genealogy 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- 1861 A list of families in Gnosall 1861
- Census transcriptions 1841-1911
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Probate records[edit | edit source]
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers[edit | edit source]
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- 1838 Tithe Maps & Awards (complete parish)
- 1880 Parish OS Map (25" to mile)
- 1910 Finance Act Parish Map & Property reference pages
Websites[edit | edit source]
Reference[edit | edit source]
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 301-312. Date accessed: 25 October 2012.
- 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 21 August 2014.
- 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 17 September 2013.
- 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- Staffordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 13 September 2013.
- Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8